Aldi tap & die set ?

dyna-ti":784oombs said:
I got mine for about £30 ,pretty good quality of tungsten carbide at that price.Old tools at car boot sales are a good bet,usually high quality too .

They won't be tungsten carbide or even HSS. Carbon steel, more like.

I am constantly surprised at the bargains one finds.

For all I use them for the softer metal ones are fine.

Got one or two actual high quality imperial that were my gramps.

Love old tools.

You should see my saws.

:)

I bought a set of the lidl or aldi (you have them too in Holland) about a year ago. I used it several times for refreshing bottle bosses, drop out adjusterscrew thread and specific bolts. At least perfect for this kind of application.

The Lidl set i have has been used on the build of at least 2 racing lawnmowers and never let me down.

Carl.

Just got the Aldi set along with a load of other stuff they got in stock yesterday - picks, bits and Allen keys. Everything's 'GS' marked and looks fine for home workshop use.

Andy R":3b9jlisx said:
dyna-ti":3b9jlisx said:
I got mine for about £30 ,pretty good quality of tungsten carbide at that price.Old tools at car boot sales are a good bet,usually high quality too .

:roll:

dyna-ti":11v42w9y said:
Andy R":11v42w9y said:
dyna-ti":11v42w9y said:

:roll:
Meaning what ?

I apologize for bump...just mine two cents...
I bought a little Ace-Hanson tap kit about 50 years ago - machine thread from 4-40 to 1/4-20 with drill bits and a little "T" handle.
As the years went by, I picked up taps and dies as I needed them - onesie-twosies at the local hardware store. They're all Ace Hanson or Irwin.
Today I own a complete "set" of taps and dies from 4-40 up to 1/2-20 (and everything in between.)
I have taps and dies that have never been taken out of the packages yet.

The only problem is that I don't have a fancy-schmancy box in which to store all the pieces neatly arranged by size.

I had a full 40-piece "Columbia" (TRW) metric tap & die set that I gave to a buddy of mine about 20 years ago. If I need to re-work a metric hole I'll give him a call.

Just get what you need. Pick 'em up as you go along. Sooner or later you'll have every damn one of them.

On the other hand, if you're aspiring to be a machinist when you grow up, by all means, go big and buy the whole enchilada now. Don't go cheap though - get the good stuff.

==

this eBay seller bought out a warehouse of Irwin inventory and has some good prices on drills/taps/dies (and other Irwin stuff):
https://mechanicguides.com/best-tap-and-die-set/

(I usually get 20%-25% off from him depending on how much I buy. YMMV.)

Back