A Sunn Something! first ride, weird handling!

Been out on the Sunn twice this weekend

Saturday a 10 mile bimble with the better half, then Saturday evening finished trueing up the new wheels sitting out in the garden, taking advantage of the weather.

Then Sunday pushed it a little harder! Only downside is the ahead steerer adaptor, when things get technicall it has slipped, may be bedding down or something, tightened it all up during the ride and it was then OK, but really want to go ahead rigid. Trouble is finding a 1" fork, I like the Exotic ones, but I don't think it would look correct.

Anyway here are some phone pics with the new wheels.

All shiny at the start of the ride.

22f215a7.jpg

All dusty toward the end, nicely dusty! and airline cleanable, I love this weather :D

270eca3c.jpg

What's nice with this bike is that it is pretty rapid on the road too, probably down to the tyres.

Really pleased with the wheels, 521 ceramic rims with a 99p NOS deore LX front hub and a Ritchey on the back. Front laced radial, rear 3 cross on the cassette side, radial on the other.

Also put some Ritchey SPD's on, seem to suit how the bike likes to be ridden.

Want to swop the saddle, it was given to me and I now know why! Although it looks cumfy.....it isn't, probably will put the Ti Flite on it from the Kona which is in pieces at the mo'

Then Stickers from Gil

But mostly I want to sort the fork's, something will crop up, I hope....

Will do some better detail pic's and spec sheet when it is all stickerd

as a sunn buff ( with about 12 bought for me and the family over the last few years, out of which 8 were chromed frames !)
I like it but I would change the spe crankset which does not fit the "thin" frame ;)

see below what a nice M737 can do on a small frame 5000 max of 1995 ( size 40 perfect for women or here one of my boys)

see also an original obsys carbon whose real benefit is the limited weight improves a bit the comfort compared to a rigid one but not by a wide margin :LOL:

these frames ( either Fuji db or tange db for respectively vertik - and this one probably is a vertik - or 5000)
are sturdy, chromium is very good quality and reasonnably confortable so make nice all around bikes :cool:

the second one is a near original 5000 with its rigid fork and "brute " crankset (actually not very good looking but made specially by sugino for sunn) but lacking its stickers
higher end bikes had race face turbines

sunn5000max02.jpg

sunn5000max01.jpg

IMG_8753.jpg

A couple of nice looking Sunn's there.

I see what you mean about the cranks, that will be something for later.

I like the forks on your rigid 5000, I keep looking on eBay France but very little appears for Sunn, is there another place where old mountain bike bits are sold over there?

Looks lovely as it is GBM - I wouldn't worry about the cranks, I like that as it is. I'm a fan of old bikes being ridable and practical - suspension forks, aheadsets and V brakes all get my vote. A later ahead Manitou would still look good and work well, or even a Pace of somekind.
I think the French are a bit anti ebay - too many rules for them :LOL:

Ta Reluctant, I'm with you on the updating stuff, although the canti's are working well they are such a PITA to set up compared to V's, They have also reawakened my worries about a cable slipping and dropping the straddle cable across the front tyre = very rapid stop :eek:
Never happened.............but
I'm probably just a bit paranoid :LOL:

Really wanted to have 1" ahead forks on this, but they have been a real struggle to find, anyway got a set of Futureshoks quiet cheap, but with no rebound, hoping a rebuild and air would sort, and it did.

New FSA cartridge headset and all is good, although they look really spindly!

No ride yet so poser shot only, I like them although it took a fair bit of work getting them to look like this.

0954df3d.jpg

Generic Sunn stickerage from Gil

Still to replace the saddle, but other than that I think all is done

Took it for it's first ride with the Futureshocks (or Rock Shox's if you prefer)
Riding really nice and they are much more active than the Manitous but on the road it is difficult to not ride in a gentle weave and cornering is a tad strange, although different in design the geometry looks similar to the Manitous.

But will stick with them, off road they are fine, have stuck with the saddle in the end, I think this is it for a while, it does the fast light nice weather bike thing very well, but may swop the tyres for something similar but modern and tubeless long term.

Here's the pics from the ride

55acea5e.jpg

d022c8ab.jpg

11f635d4.jpg

Back