A Shim to increase A-C on a fork ?

Re:

I imagine the difficulty would be that where a conventional race would sit is a bigger diameter to allow for a snug fit. If you have enough of that, then yes. If not, you'd need a smaller diameter one.

Just my opinion

Mike

Re:

Theres a lot if variables, almost a dark art to getting it right it seems but damn....it im gonna try :facepalm: The question is cost though. If its gonna cost silly money to get one custom made ie > £100 then i might just have to sell the forks on when they arrive from the US :cry:

Re:

Maybe get someone to put some weld around the steerer, then file it down to fit?

Re:

Buy a proper fitting fork, the rake will be off as you raise the crown race. It wasn't designed and angled for it.

Plus it looks bloody daft.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":37pswxyp said:
Buy a proper fitting fork, the rake will be off as you raise the crown race. It wasn't designed and angled for it.

Plus it looks bloody daft.

Im gonna ignore that, as you are 'Yorkshire' ;)

As for Mike, thats the equivalent of cutting out an original masterpiece painting from its frame, gluing it to some larger cardboard and getting a 4yr old to colour in the gap in crayons :LOL:

Im gonna try the spacer 'hack' first :facepalm:

:D

But in all honesty, the spacer setup.
First then tend not to be a friction fit, but loose, there is a lot of pivot on the lower part of the steerer trying to shear them apart.
The bottom one will likely (hopefully) lock into the crownrace slot. If you just rest the crown on them, then that is also going to slide around like the higher spacer.
I say this, otherwise they wouldn't need to wider section or the shim like Pace etc used (which you could always try..).

I've changed my stance though, get a proper size frame to fit the fork :)

If you know somebody with a lathe, it should be pretty simple to get one turned. All you need to know is the steerer diameter, crown race diameter (both standard, I assume it's 1" given the photo, so would be 25.4 and 26.4 mm respectively), the height of the crown race diameter part of the steerer, and the diameter of the fork crown (for prettiness).

Take a piece of steel at or larger than fork crown diameter and longer than desired additional stack height. Face both ends, turn to fork crown diameter, turn a "step" on the top at crown race diameter, length equal to the height measured earlier. That's where your crown race will sit. Turn the piece around, so the "step" is in the chuck. Cut to length. Counter drill and bore to steerer diameter. Counterbore to crown race diameter, again to the height measured earlier.

It'll look daft, though.

ishaw":23zmuecb said:
So the race I have is 1cm/10mm in height. It's also shiny and new.

Ishaw....what can i say but.....souled...PM me a price man but dont make me choke on my latte :LOL:

Back