Decent 26" rigid forks?

The problem with cheap forks, tends to be the ride. The old, lighter version of the spinner fork used by many, had good quatity tange, were butted and weighed in at around 870g (750g advertised was obviously for a 13" version!).

I did buy a "reasonable" pair some years back, but they were just that.....i sold them. Poor ride quality, heavy 1.1kg, dead feel to them.

If your after forks for a beater or tourer or just to get a bike back on the road, many of the above options will do.....but frankly, i don't want to compromise a good frame and set up with a gas pipe fork.....which im sure many of you can appreciate.

So it looks like custom may be the way.

Is it possible that if an equivalent fork existed now it would be advertised as not for off-road use and there's a tendency to overbuild to avoid potential legal action?

The issue these days is that tubing manufacturers have a very small selection of fork blades available, everyone fits carbon or suspension forks to their bikes so the demand isn’t there.

Suppliers will custom draw/shape fork blades for you but there is a MOQ which is reasonably high for most custom builders and is therefore not financially viable.

With several different wheel sizes around right now, making blades that would suit all of these sizes would mean a massive inventory.

Most custom forks I build these days are for touring/bike packing where weight isn’t a primary concern. It’s more about the load carrying ability and potential for Dynamo lighting etc.

Reactions: Woz
what about a set of RC30's and a new steerer? Pace still sell them or Danson67 could make you one.
I was thinking this and scooching through to see if anyone had suggested it. This would be my approach, not always available at sensible money but with patience can be found to suit different date / era of bike vintage. specifics giving the needed excuse to spend dollar on rigid forks..

Rc30 are horrid to ride imho.....i did so in the early 90! I sold both pairs a few years back. I think the problem was they were too rigid. I actually prefer switchblades, which have on my old marin....much more pliable and a better ride.

The steer extension idea may be a viable option, if a friendly frame builder thinks its a viable idea...

So in answer to my own question.....NO. .....nobody makes a good quality 26" unicrown mountain bike fork any longer.....

And why would they, when the industry now puts 26" as children's bikes or for those under 5'5". Which is also a bit sexist, as it assumes a shorter woman won't be a good rider and therefore won't need a decent bike!
I have to say this is right, I am now looking for the bike and because I am smaller than other women - I find it uncomfortable to use it.

I actually went down the steer tube extension route....with @August Bicycles he has altered a pair of rockstars for me......very reasonably priced too....in fact so reasonable I sent him a second pair of 750g ones to do too.

Even with buying the fork, the new steerer and slug welded in and powder on one set, they were still cheaper than a new set of mid range cr mo forks......let alone the cost of something like a surly fork!.....which would have got me both pairs fully finished.

Its definitely a route i would use again.

Thanks Gav!

I wish there was more of a choice of lightweight 26" forks with 395mm-ish A2C. If gravel peas and road are more your bag, than baby heads and gnarr, you really do not need a fork that weighs 1kg.
Lots of steel road forks managed Paris-Roubaix, without 2inches of squishy tyre to help matters, and they are alot lighter. The OG 750g Rockstar and early TP Project 2's probably wouldn't cut the mustard these days, for mass production bike safety tests, but in the real world they are still overkill for road/gravel/path/light XC.

I have some Mosso MD5( i think it is this model) aluminium forks and they are pretty damn light. They are the straight leg version and do have a little spring to them. A2C seems to fluctuate quite a bit on these types of forks though, which an be a bummer.

Last edited:
I read this thread the first time and at that point I wasn't looking for a fork, because there was no way I was buying another frame (especially one without a matching fork). Assuming I can't find something bouncy I like, I have similar requirements to Tootyred though fortunately I think I only need a 190-195 steerer.

alas the A to C is right on the money (400mm) but the steerer its cut to 210. no go, sorry.

shame really as it fitted a 2 .4 with ease. ;)

Do you still have whatever this is?

I read this thread the first time and at that point I wasn't looking for a fork, because there was no way I was buying another frame (especially one without a matching fork). Assuming I can't find something bouncy I like, I have similar requirements to Tootyred though fortunately I think I only need a 190-195 steerer.

Do you still have whatever this is?
I'll have a look tomorrow. It's a handsome dog fork.

Back