Decent 26" rigid forks?

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Does anybody know any company who now make decent Steel, 1 1/8", Ahead, 26", cantilever/ v brake compatible, non suspension corrected (395 min to about 410 max), forks that will take a normal 2.1" tyre with some clearance?

Other than the cheapie oxford / xlc offering, which scare the bejesus out of me as they say " for leisure use only...not for off road" or Surly lht/ rat pack, which wont fit anything bigger than 2.0 tyres and the a to c is too short to boot!

Soma did make some, but they seem to have stopped......im drawing a bit of a blank.

Theres exotic carbon, but i dont think thats right for the bike and the 395 a to c have bern out of stock for over a year anyway!

Im looking for new as i need an un-cut or basically un- cut steerer of min 260mm.

Thought i might ask or is this now futile as the world no longer accepts 26" as a viable wheel size!

Please leave all conspiracy theories at the door!

Cheers

Think Surly make a long haul trucker in 26"

Does anybody know any company who now make decent Steel, 1 1/8", Ahead, 26", cantilever/ v brake compatible, non suspension corrected (395 min to about 410 max), forks that will take a normal 2.1" tyre with some clearance?

Other than the cheapie oxford / xlc offering, which scare the bejesus out of me as they say " for leisure use only...not for off road" or Surly lht/ rat pack, which wont fit anything bigger than 2.0 tyres and the a to c is too short to boot!

Soma did make some, but they seem to have stopped......im drawing a bit of a blank.

Theres exotic carbon, but i dont think thats right for the bike and the 395 a to c have bern out of stock for over a year anyway!

Im looking for new as i need an un-cut or basically un- cut steerer of min 260mm.

Thought i might ask or is this now futile as the world no longer accepts 26" as a viable wheel size!

Please leave all conspiracy theories at the door!

Cheers
SJS cycles but they are not cheap, they are very nice forks though, I have a set which I picked up at a discounted price due to them being "seconds", though I couldn't find anything wrong with them

Sadly on surly specs the truckers only take max 2.0" tyres.....

The a to c is also too short on the thorns....

Im not suprised as they are both touring orientated not mtb sadly.

Probably, are they still made with canti mounts?

Ive had quick measure of the frame ad with the stem 260mm is going to be tight....im erring dangerously towards 300mm!

I thought I had just the thing for you in the man cave but the a-c is 420 and given they are difficult to source I don't want to sell them. Steerer uncut at 280mm. But, if I've got a set stashed, that must mean lots of retrobikers have some stashed away under their pillows...

Surly give a conservative spec for tyre clearance. On their website it says 2.0 inch with or without fenders. I think a 2.1 inch tyre should be fine. I have the Cross Check fork. They have generous clearance and are really nicely made. My dad runs a LHT fork on his trek 7000.

Last edited:
Back