90's treks

I bought my wife an 80/81 vintage 516 and was so smitten with it that I tried to find one for myself to no avail. My friend had a 970 - the metallic plum colored one. I thought it was a good bike. They got too strange for me during the early suspension days, but I wouldn't say no to a good quality early steel one.

Re:

Got a '92 8000 that I used as a training bike bitd. Bought it at a knock down price from a bike shop that was closing, so it's a one owner example. Bit tired now, but still largely original :)

Re:

Had a 990, either 95or 96 (the root beer colored one, OX3 tubing?). Oddly enough, it was only frame I ever managed to crack. Right at the head/down tube connection. For some reason, trek put the gusset at the head/top tube conn. Had the crack welded by a frame shop my LBS recommended, added a gusset there and away I went for another year or so, before selling. Kinda wished I kept it now.

Re:

Bought this back in 91 Trek 8000. Sold it a few years back wish I had kept it.

Bought this Trek OCLV 9800 back in 95. I still ride it and still no cracks after 20yrs. ;)

Attachments

• DSC01324.jpg
    DSC01324.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC03214.JPG
    DSC03214.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 543
Re:

rjwess":30auavy9 said:
Bought this back in 91 Trek 8000. Sold it a few years back wish I had kept it.

Gorgeous bike! But really long stem! That would destroy my back! I wonder why manufacturers on those years thought 150mm stems on a bike your size were a good idea. On my bikes I always have to end up replacing the stem with something higher and shorter to make them more "user-friendly" (and ugly at the same time). Age is a factor for sure :oops:

Here's my frame and fork. Just picked it up on the weekend. Not sure what to do with it just yet. Three other projects have priority. Will likely make a good mid-winter project though.

Attachments

• IMG_4605.JPG
    IMG_4605.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_4607.JPG
    IMG_4607.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 510
Re: Re:

Once A Hero":qezqp2ir said:
Got a '92 8000 that I used as a training bike bitd. Bought it at a knock down price from a bike shop that was closing, so it's a one owner example. Bit tired now, but still largely original :)

got a pic? i'm currently sourcing parts to rebuild the 92 trek 8000 I raced on.

got a matrix stem and xt rapidfires recently, handlebars are proving an issue.

also got a 930 of the same vintage, intend to strip and rebuild this over winter too.

Re: Re:

JaEdBa":z2o5iia8 said:
Once A Hero":z2o5iia8 said:

got a pic? i'm currently sourcing parts to rebuild the 92 trek 8000 I raced on.
got a matrix stem and xt rapidfires recently, handlebars are proving an issue.

No pics I'm afraid, it's languishing in my Dads shed somewhere and I won't take it back for restoration until I've moved house early next year :roll:

Back