90's treks

mikee":2oqaxa6h said:
P1030645.jpg

Love em

Nice... :cool:

al.

Re:

Haha, just what I was about to say!

I didn't expect this to turn into a show us your trek thread but it wouldn't be a bad thing if it did!

They got that oldschool bombproof/old workhorse feeling and shout no-nonsense to all bikers from miles. The posh ones were made in the US of A, and altough mass-produced, build quality, performance and durability were and still are their key features. Built to last, they make an excellent tourer/commuter bike, if not the lightest, esp. the steel frame bikes, but bonded alu's (8000-7000, etc) are lighter significantly, at about 2 kg/19" size frame.

Repainted a 91' 970 frame a year ago, not light, but very nice, only real stupidity is the "factory standard" missing front der. cable stop from the seattube, which was somehow a design flaw with Treks pre 1993, really cant get it why, ' cause top pull front mechs were sold from late '91, so they should have used them, at least on top-end models, so duh :x

So, I guess they deserve more credit, and would recommend esp. US-made steel ones as No. 930-950-970-990, made from True Temper OXII-OXIII steel, just like a budget Fatty ;)

Re:

My first ever mtb, bought in '97, True Temper OX toobing

Which then became,

Don't laugh, that got me 3rd place in the Sussex cyclocross champs, '99-'00. 5th overall in the race. With cheaper forks. Appols for bad picures, photos are all I have now. Bike is now with a friend of mine. Still going strong :cool:

Having helped set up the course in the morning as my club was running it. No, I didn't have a hand in the course design :roll: Beating quite a few actual 'cross bikes :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Attachments

• T MTB 1.jpg
    T MTB 1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 479
  • T MTB 2.jpg
    T MTB 2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 479
  • ME.jpg
    ME.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 479
Just missed out on a 970 here in Glasgow last week. Bit gutted. Was to be my first Trek

Re:

I had an old Trek 8000 Aluminum, yes that is what it said on the frame. Speckled paint, I am guessing very early nineties. Bought it bitd, circa 1996, but was too big for my short legs!:)

amedias":1a4uswub said:
Anyone into them? don't see a lot for love for them really, and obviously nothing special in the grand scheme of things

I think it is because, being from a big brand, plenty of them were sold so they are not "rare" or hard to find, and not because they lack quality or appeal. Same happens to other "big brands" like Scott or Giant.

I personally have 3, all early 90's steel. I do mostly touring, mtb, and commuting, and those lugged steel bikes with horizontal tubes, top-routed cabling, rigid forks and sensible specs tick all the boxes. Nowadays, if you want to buy a new lugged frame in quality steel, prices start over 800 EUR, let alone a complete bike.

Luckily for me, this lack of appreciation in the retro world means I can find them second hand in Germany at very reasonable prices. I am original owner of a '92 Trek 950, and recently managed to get another two '91 Trek 950 for 60 and 110 EUR each, both in excellent condition, one even 100% stock including the tyres. Will post pictures eventually, garage is a mess right now, winter is not cold enough to keep me inside fixing my friend's bikes.

Re:

Always had a soft spot for the composite ones, the 8700/8900? Really liked the way they looked, was never lucky enough to ride one. Seen a few go for a song on here too.

Back