1997 Porsche S Bike by Steiner Designs / Voltec

Re: Re:

yakboy":1x754uvv said:
Looking good :D . We'll have to compare notes when you put your decals on. As I'm a bit nervous about cocking mine up

Just go for it ...best thing with waterslides is you can literally "Slide" them around until your happy with the position and then I found the slightest dab with a piece of toilet paper and you can wick the water away leaving them firmly in place.

any here's the last stage just prior to un-masking

since the brake block fills the area so well - not even Magura appear to have worried about painting the block area, so masking up was pretty primitive.

Just need to give them a polish to get rid of the slightly orange peel effect on some areas.

You can still see which ones came from Foz as there just the slightest trace of blue in the treads, the other two were really crappy silver ones and TBH bin fodder before the make over.

Quattro Magura's ready for re-plumbing, in hind sight I wish I'd given them another coat of lacquer as in bright daylight you can see the edges of the waterslide on some however you do need to be exceptionally close - once fitted I'm hoping you'll never notice however its easy enough to either start over again or try another coat on them

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 555
Re: I bought a 1997 Red Porsche

Great job :)

Do you still need any parts or will you be building it back up now?

mkone":169b3btp said:
Great job :)

Do you still need any parts or will you be building it back up now?

I’m pretty much sorted, Since it’s now winter I’m considering having the seatpost and poker straight 22.2mm handlebar re-anodised black and then I’ll have completely run out thinks to tittilate/fluff with

....mind you I’ve still got the Rock Lobster to get me through the long winter nights whilst listening to champions league football on the radio.

Retro Spud":2eqkj3ic said:
I’ll have completely run out thinks to tittilate/fluff with

Fluff......I'm sure there is room for more polishing :D

Gerard":crarf4a5 said:
Retro Spud":crarf4a5 said:
I’ll have completely run out thinks to tittilate/fluff with

Fluff......I'm sure there is room for more polishing :D

Lol. I guess a I’m like a Magpie and drawn to shinny... if it’s not anodised it needs to be polished, I really can’t abide Patena - it just greats on me.

As nice as your Amp on the gates ride was - I'd have had to polish before riding it - and then I would have got it all dusty

Re:

Sometimes we have the good fortune to cross paths with truly great people who very briefly come into your life, make a massive difference and leave a lasting impression !

Jürgen Steiner of Steiner Designs (The Company responsible for the Porsche bike) in Pforzheim Germany is one such person

Whilst taking my Voltec forks apart to replace the worn out elastomers I needed to remove the caps fitted to the top of the stantions – just like Manitou I’s and II’s there’s a Allen bolt inside that needs a 36 inch long allen key to un do them, Unlike the Manitou caps which generally come out easily German tolerances were a lot tighter and made for a much better fit and after gentle taps with a re-purposed broken nylon tyre lever and a small hammer one came out but the other was stuck fast and in the end required much more force than was healthy which unsurprisingly lead to it being damaged and after the first gash to the Caps rim it lost its natural beauty and in the end looked like it was removed by a butcher.

and heres what happened when one refused to budge

Anyway the forks were duly cleaned and rebuild with new Elastomers from the USA – however I just couldn’t get past the damage I’d done to the top cap and using the info Thais supplied I contacted Steiner Designs in Germany on the off chance they might have a replacement for a 20 year old fork that I could purchase, and after an exchange of emails and some great information I’ve now got a replacement cap (last one) and best of all Jürgen sent it gratis – he even paid the postage !

and now I have a Pair and one tatty but functional spare

Just encase any one with Voltec III forks reads this in the future – below is the rebuild kit for them which is a darn site cheaper than Suspension Fork parts (even without US/UK import duty) and in this kit you get everything you need.

On the off chance Jurgen reads this - Danke vielmals Jürgen you’re a true gent !

Attachments

• Porsche Bike S 2.jpg
    Porsche Bike S 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 419
  • What a gent.jpg
    What a gent.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 419
Re:

There are some very generous people in the biking community, always restores my faith in humanity when someone does something at cost to themselves.

Re:

Great job Nick on the bike...I'd be afraid to ride it. Concours!
Brilliant that Jürgen Steiner was so generous...rare thing in these day & age.

Re: Re:

yakboy":g6qdfihn said:
There are some very generous people in the biking community, always restores my faith in humanity when someone does something at cost to themselves.

Having shared the journey and also what I still had planned he seemed genuinely enthused to know that even 20yrs on his design was still being appreciated and bringing happiness to others,

Gerard":g6qdfihn said:
Great job Nick on the bike...I'd be afraid to ride it. Concours!
Brilliant that Jürgen Steiner was so generous...rare thing in these day & age.

Thanks Gerard ^
After the initial contact and exchange of emails and the comment you know this fork is over 20 years old I wasn't holding my breath for finding the part and then as good as his word a week later I got an email with "I found only one... but that is all you need right !" send me your address and I'll mail it to you - naturally I offered to pay but that was politely refused :D

As for concourse condition that would be nice, but we are getting there slowly, the nasty graze on the right hand HS22 has now been sorted thanks to a "cheap as chips" ebay find - one solitary NOS red HS22 popped up so this chip/graze will be gone for good soon and Foz is sending me some new genuine Sach grips for both the bars and shifters, so we should be looking hot soon. - as it needs to hold its own against "MyTeenageself's" Shinny Black Carbon Lotus at Mayhem in June

I'm seriously toying with getting the 22.2mm straight as a poker handlebars re Anodised black and also the silver shims clear anodised as currently the shims are bare Ali - but came up like chrome with a quick polish.

Attachments

• Porsche Bike S 4.jpg
    Porsche Bike S 4.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 384
Back