1990(?) Cannondale SM500 frame only build up.

Very nice result! Looks great, have you had it out for a spin yet?
Thanks, no - not yet. We’ve had so much rain recently I’m waiting for a dry day to put a decent ride in on it. Genuinely can’t wait to try it, if it’s as nice as my blue one I know I’m going to be happy with it. 👌

Good to see you couldn't wait for a dry day to take some pics! ;) Looks like that'll be one nice ride. 👋

What brand are those bullmoose bars? They look new rather than retro/NOS?

Good to see you couldn't wait for a dry day to take some pics!
Haha, you got me there! I was literally like, quick the rains stopped, carry it in to the back garden and take pics, then carry it back again! Sad isn’t it!..
What brand are those bullmoose bars? They look new rather than retro/NOS?
Yeah, not sure. They popped up on eBay - the guy said they came off his Raleigh fixie project. They’re not new but I don’t think they’re decades old either..
They are perfect for this build as they don’t rise to much or too far, ideal as the frame is on the large size so I won’t be stretching to get my hands to them. I’ll get back to you if I can find any branding on them.
Until then I’ll be here, waiting patiently for dry weather and free time to coincide so I can ride the thing.. 🤣🤣🤣

Haha, you got me there! I was literally like, quick the rains stopped, carry it in to the back garden and take pics, then carry it back again! Sad isn’t it!..

Yeah, not sure. They popped up on eBay - the guy said they came off his Raleigh fixie project. They’re not new but I don’t think they’re decades old either..
They are perfect for this build as they don’t rise to much or too far, ideal as the frame is on the large size so I won’t be stretching to get my hands to them. I’ll get back to you if I can find any branding on them.
Until then I’ll be here, waiting patiently for dry weather and free time to coincide so I can ride the thing.. 🤣🤣🤣
Let’s hope the rain subsides over the next week so you can take it out for a spin on the road. Off road may need to wait until next year perhaps?

I think the bars might be these:
They no longer have stocks of these. Was pretty cheap for bullmoose bar & stem, but quite basic and MIG welded with surface mounted bolt head vs. recessed Allen head expander bolt, but they still look the part!

Fingers crossed for some finer weather! 🤞

I think the bars might be these:
I reckon you’re spot on with that, nice detective work!
A0EFD725-FC4D-4664-BC42-6E6A2D869431.jpeg
Managed a quick spin round the block while the roads were dry and sun shining, but yeah can’t see it getting much use til spring - least of all off road!
Rides pretty well, the bars do feel low - but not uncomfortably so and the brakes/gears work nicely but a longer ride and a bit of fine tuning needed no doubt.
Overall I’m really happy with how it turned out, and nice to get a second chance to own one. Hard to put a price on what it owes me as a lot of the parts I had already, but I think the frame is worthy of the parts I’ve hung on it and overall it looks exactly as I’d hoped.

Little update on this. I’ve changed out the XT sti units for some dia-compe xct levers and Suntour friction thumbies. Fitted a rear brake booster, swapped the rear mech for a short cage one which came on another bike, few other bits. I’ve got a nice front mount luggage rack on order for it, I think once that’s fitted I should be done for a while.
05338198-D301-47E6-AD0A-CEC6259AE3BF.jpeg
Should make for a nice summer cruiser.

Back