Kona A'ha Stars & Bars 1997

I'm curious about how the "stars and bars" livery is received overseas. Here in Canada, we are pummeled by the media, and by extension, the patriotism of our big southern brother, and thus, I have had my fill of the red, white and blue. I love the frames, but would prefer literally any other color

I'm sure it's a mixed bag across the world.

For me, I never saw it as a patriotic emblem or message, just a super-cool paint scheme in the same vain as the rasta-flames and other iconic liveries.

I'm curious about how the "stars and bars" livery is received overseas. Here in Canada, we are pummeled by the media, and by extension, the patriotism of our big southern brother, and thus, I have had my fill of the red, white and blue. I love the frames, but would prefer literally any other color
Being a Burger overseas the few people who have seen the frame in person all like the livery, but maybe they are just patronizing my ego and they are moreso Kona fans on top of anything else. Expanding, people (myself included) also like the Rocky Mountain white and red livery with the maple leaves as well.

Very cool project!
Just like yourself I love the proportions of cruiser and mini BMXs which inspired this build for my 13” Stumpjumper. I used 700c wheels with a longer rear axle, drilled the seatstay bridge to fit road callipers and made a custom bracket to accommodate them on the P2 fork.
Great fun to ride around town on, unfortunately it got stolen not long after I finished it, have plans to build a replacement sometime in the future.

IMG_7363.jpg

Very cool project!
Just like yourself I love the proportions of cruiser and mini BMXs which inspired this build for my 13” Stumpjumper. I used 700c wheels with a longer rear axle, drilled the seatstay bridge to fit road callipers and made a custom bracket to accommodate them on the P2 fork.
Great fun to ride around town on, unfortunately it got stolen not long after I finished it, have plans to build a replacement sometime in the future.

View attachment 729940
That’s very cute. Kona did do a 700c p2 so I would’ve been tempted to do a mullet as 26” at the rear 700c at the front. It’s a shame it got stolen looks like a fun ride

Very cool project!

View attachment 729940
Yes...that is sweet looking and I bet was super fun to ride. Please...give me more details on what you did for a rear hub and gear (width, spacing, gearing...any details) please and thank you. Were the pedals Victor Bear Traps? Looks like the tires could have been a larger size too? Any old photos of the rear tire clearance at the caliper?

I have so many questions...

That’s very cute. Kona did do a 700c p2 so I would’ve been tempted to do a mullet as 26” at the rear 700c at the front. It’s a shame it got stolen looks like a fun ride
Using this 700c fork would change the head tube angle and bb height as well. Maybe those changes are trivial. Irrespective, rock the mullet. Make it so.

It was a bit of a spare parts box build so the details are a little fuzzy.

The wheels I took from an 80s racer that I picked up dirt cheap, I re-laced the rear rim to an old LX hub.
The gearing was a matter of experimenting with what I could get away with. I’m sure I used a half-link in the chain and filed down one side of the axle to allow for fine tuning. I see you have horizontal drop-outs which makes life a lot easier.
Tyres I believe were 22mm perhaps 23mm as far as I can remember there were no clearance issues.

The pedals were my favourites Odyssey Sharkbites, bummed most about them when it got stolen! Hard to find them now and like all old BMX parts expensive.

It was a bit of a spare parts box build so the details are a little fuzzy.

The wheels I took from an 80s racer that I picked up dirt cheap, I re-laced the rear rim to an old LX hub.
The gearing was a matter of experimenting with what I could get away with. I’m sure I used a half-link in the chain and filed down one side of the axle to allow for fine tuning. I see you have horizontal drop-outs which makes life a lot easier.
Tyres I believe were 22mm perhaps 23mm as far as I can remember there were no clearance issues.

The pedals were my favourites Odyssey Sharkbites, bummed most about them when it got stolen! Hard to find them now and like all old BMX parts expensive.
Thank you for that info. Do you rememeber what crank arm length you used? Also, those pedals are indeed pretty sweet looking. Using road bike calipers is a nice idea, clean looking and probably much less involved than adapters and the like for using v-brakes. Do you remember any issues with braking on that setup? I.e., road brakes/mtb brake levers?

Thank you for that info. Do you rememeber what crank arm length you used? Also, those pedals are indeed pretty sweet looking. Using road bike calipers is a nice idea, clean looking and probably much less involved than adapters and the like for using v-brakes. Do you remember any issues with braking on that setup? I.e., road brakes/mtb brake levers?

Cranks were 170mm which is what I usually use.
On this small frame road calipers were the easiest option with the 700c wheels, the rear triangle was pretty tight so the seatstay bridge was low enough for the calipers to reach the rim. As mentioned I had to drill a hole in the bridge which didn't bother me as I bought the frame for peanuts, personally though I'd be a bit hesitant in drilling holes in your lovely and rare frame.
The distance on fork was too long for regular road calipers so I ordered some cheap long-reach calipers on Amazon but (not surprisingly) when they arrived they were just regular reach 😖 So instead I made a bracket that lowered the mounting position of the calipers and they worked fine. Regular canti brake levers have the right pull for road calipers, I ran a pair of Promax levers.

How's the fit on that 20" frame? I'm right at 6' and usually ride a 19" 90s Kona sized frame. I have a 20" Kaboom and that one does seem a little big. I get why Kona only made the A'ha in 18" and 20", but it would've been great to have a 19" as well. Can't figure out if it's better to size the frame up or down on the cruiser?

Latest posts

Back