1993/4 GT Zaskar Le Singlespeed: FINISHED

Re: Re:

Ian W":3gnizp6u said:
SEANSTEPHENS":3gnizp6u said:
Ian W":3gnizp6u said:
That looks awesome :cool:

Where did you get the decals from? They look original...

I got them from member cherrybomb, they were leftovers from his zaskar. The set was originally made up by Gil m i think.

Are You still riding yours?

Sean

Yeah, mine is still being ridden, it's a good feeling that nearly 4 years since it went together it is being used and really hasn't required any new parts other than a replacement chain! Makes my friends and brothers modern rides which need brakes bleeding and bearings changing look quite fragile when compared to the 21 year old Zaskar :cool:

The rest of the bits (forks and bars) where my choice to upgrade :)

Love the look of yours, would love to single speed mine as it looks really cool but I doubt it's for me :LOL:

The zaskar works really well as a singlespeed bike. The gearing is 32 x 15t which i find is a pretty good all round gear, and no tensioner is required either. There are times though when im riding this bike and wish i had some gears :LOL:

Sean

Re:

Ive changed the handlebars from the titanium X-lite flats to an Easton riser bar, and thanks to just a bit of rise and backsweep the zaskar now feels more responsive :)

Sean :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_5448.jpg
    IMG_5448.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 398
Re:

couple pics from the trail this weekend... First proper outing in the mud, and the bike was great :D

i felt like the old manitou's let the bike down a bit though, They do perform quite well in all fairness but after all they're light for a reason right? They are quite flexy and dont feel half as solid as a pair of bombers, but then early 90s suspension is shit in today's standards anyway i suppose ;)

sean :cool:

Re: Feeding The Obsession... Zaskar no.3!!

SEANSTEPHENS":1dz4m4di said:
These arrived for me last week all the way from canada. the elastomers were a freebie with the Ringle hub and saved me a fair bit of money so cheers to roc6839 for that :D

The old elastomers... No surprise the forks were in such poor working order really, and the bottom ones crumbled in my hands :roll:

And the new elastomers.... Blue ones are firm so best i put them at the bottom, the red are medium and ive put the original plastic spacers back in between. the left preload adjuster took a bit of persuasion in the vice to come unseized, but i now have two working adjusters :)

Now got my manitou 4 from my old aqua Zaskar working like new so im pretty pleased :D

And thanks to Vinevo as well for giving me these GT platforms for just the postage costs

ive given them a once over with wire wool and an overhaul with new bearings. ive been using them all week on my Trek and they feel pretty decent for unsealed pedals

If I'm not mistaken those photos were taken down the Bristol Bike Project

Re: Feeding The Obsession... Zaskar no.3!!

Rob H":269wzvwl said:
SEANSTEPHENS":269wzvwl said:
These arrived for me last week all the way from canada. the elastomers were a freebie with the Ringle hub and saved me a fair bit of money so cheers to roc6839 for that :D

The old elastomers... No surprise the forks were in such poor working order really, and the bottom ones crumbled in my hands :roll:

And the new elastomers.... Blue ones are firm so best i put them at the bottom, the red are medium and ive put the original plastic spacers back in between. the left preload adjuster took a bit of persuasion in the vice to come unseized, but i now have two working adjusters :)

Now got my manitou 4 from my old aqua Zaskar working like new so im pretty pleased :D

And thanks to Vinevo as well for giving me these GT platforms for just the postage costs

ive given them a once over with wire wool and an overhaul with new bearings. ive been using them all week on my Trek and they feel pretty decent for unsealed pedals

If I'm not mistaken those photos were taken down the Bristol Bike Project

Well spotted!! The bottom 3 were taken there yeah :cool:

You involved with the project at all?

Sean

I try and get down there on Tuesday nights when I can but recently (most of 2014) I seem to have been away with work on Tuesdays so I haven't been down there as much as I'd like.

Rob H":2o88f336 said:
I try and get down there on Tuesday nights when I can but recently (most of 2014) I seem to have been away with work on Tuesdays so I haven't been down there as much as I'd like.

Well i used to come down on tues/volunteers night most weeks, but the social side of it for me isnt really there anymore so i kinda lost enthusiasm for it, if you like. I still do paid work for the project (youth earn a bike, after school bikes, cycle surgery) stuff like that, and give an hour or two of my time to volunteer now and again :)

Sean

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":3kv61kh0 said:
couple pics from the trail this weekend... First proper outing in the mud, and the bike was great :D

i felt like the old manitou's let the bike down a bit though, They do perform quite well in all fairness but after all they're light for a reason right? They are quite flexy and dont feel half as solid as a pair of bombers, but then early 90s suspension is shit in today's standards anyway i suppose ;)

sean :cool:

Good to see a classic bike getting used for whats its designed for, not getting stored away as a garage queen where it can be admired and polished on weekends :LOL:

Nice one.... Chris

Shame you have to break it up :(

SEANSTEPHENS":23zfvpmh said:
MADJEZ":23zfvpmh said:
phatmar":23zfvpmh said:
May i ask whats the best way to achieve the same hight polish finish? What did you use and whats the secret? Looks awesome! I have a couple frames that need the same treatment...

Autosol metal polish, Tesco value (or similar) dusters and toothbrushes and lots and lots of elbow grease !!

I used 120grit for the deeper scratches etc then 800 1500 and 2000... Then t-cut metal polish

Sean :cool:

Just carrying on from this - did/do you use anything after to help protect and maintain shine? Wax polish or similar?

Back