1992 Roberts White Spider dirt drop build (Finished - Page 3)

Hi and heads up for the nice build idea!

The Dkg are made for the first two Generations of XT Trigger shifters,

If you really want to use the Xtr Shifters keep searching for wtb multimount perches.
Otherwise Multimounts can be also made to work with early generation Suntour shifters.. but there is a baseplate modification needed unless you use the LD-2800.

WTBs even earlier sausage links (adapter plates) for suntour towers in use with their friction shifters can be easily reproduced.

More info here:

Thank you for the info and the link, some lovely pics on there 😍

I was planning to use XT m735 triggers for now and was hoping to jump to XTR once I get an appropriate wheelset with 8 speed hub. I was under the impression that these DKG's could be used with m900 shifter pods, is that wrong?

These suntour shifters are lovely I really like the ratchet action and overall look and feel of them, and I've always been more of a thumbie lover than a trigger man anyway, so I'm starting to lean towards the suntours as a permanent fixture, I say that having the m900's ready to go, but if it's going to cost me £300 or whatever to be able to use them well I'm not that crazy about them.

So I guess what I'm wondering is with the new band clamps will there be a way of mounting the suntours that will make them practically accessible? ie not on the top of the bars? And if I manage to find a tower/nut that is compatible with the DKG's what steps would I need to take to fit the suntours?
I have some suntour command shifters?
if they have the same nut but with a smaller hole (4mm) then they may be the answer to that particular issue.

In the mean time I've deep cleaned the XT canti's
Before...
P1220422.JPG

After...
P1220427.JPG

Well,
If you can do without indexing, straight XCs are perfectly doable, although it takes a bit of getting used to.
Cool double color wrapping job here!
Your setup could also benet some sausage Link repro plates :) But it seems you are riding more the hoods so it should be all fine.

@Tsundere,
Have to correct my statement from page one!
If you really want to use the Xt (r) Thumb-Shifters keep searching for wtb multimount perches.....
And if the M900 should be tried tested and liked, yes the DKG Plates are also 100% !!! legit ;) Sorry forgot to mention so :)
As per the Nut issue its true and a bit fiddly to make round metal spacers which make the shifters come away further from the bars at the same time.

Keep Browsing the Album pics for more Info and Cockpit scenarios :D
BTW also the original bands can be used by slight modification with a keyfile.. But "Extras" made are very WTB like...

Thank you for the info and the link, some lovely pics on there 😍

I was planning to use XT m735 triggers for now and was hoping to jump to XTR once I get an appropriate wheelset with 8 speed hub. I was under the impression that these DKG's could be used with m900 shifter pods, is that wrong?

These suntour shifters are lovely I really like the ratchet action and overall look and feel of them, and I've always been more of a thumbie lover than a trigger man anyway, so I'm starting to lean towards the suntours as a permanent fixture, I say that having the m900's ready to go, but if it's going to cost me £300 or whatever to be able to use them well I'm not that crazy about them.

So I guess what I'm wondering is with the new band clamps will there be a way of mounting the suntours that will make them practically accessible? ie not on the top of the bars? And if I manage to find a tower/nut that is compatible with the DKG's what steps would I need to take to fit the suntours?

if they have the same nut but with a smaller hole (4mm) then they may be the answer to that particular issue.

In the mean time I've deep cleaned the XT canti's
Before...
Found attached pics on FB somewhere..
Yeah its also possible in different ways just plain simple

Attachments

• 0yqm98eynqf61.jpg
    0yqm98eynqf61.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 9jegv8eynqf61.jpg
    9jegv8eynqf61.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 28
  • l8e0m8eynqf61.jpg
    l8e0m8eynqf61.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
If you can do without indexing, straight XCs are perfectly doable, although it takes a bit of getting used to.
Nice bike! And yes it's thumbies over triggers and friction over indexed for me given the choice, my hope was to try and get the m900 triggers fitted simply because it looks slightly more comfortable and the DKG's came along at the right time. It's likely that I'll do something similar to your set up though, at least in the meantime, so thanks for sharing that.

@manuelschafer
Thanks for clarifying, and yes I love the fact that the bands are being hand made by a helpful fellow enthusiast and it might be that I'll look for similar homebrew solutions for the final assemblage, cheers again for the very helpful pics

After drying them out I fitted the cantis and assembled the straddle wires in readiness for the final assembly, going with Ritchey cold weather pads, red wouldn't be my first choice but it seems to work well with the bottle cage bolts and little flashes of red in some of the decals, will swap for blacks in the spring mind you. Wouldn't mind some black cantilevers either 😉

P1240473.JPG
P1240479.JPG

Last edited:
Following this and will have a proper read through later. I'm planning a dirt drop build but am undecided on shifter type/location.

Finished the pedals, the bearings are spinning smooth and fast so no need for a full strip down, just a cosmetic clean and tidy up.

Before
P1230439.JPG
After
P1250501.JPG

And fitted
P1250502.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back