1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega build - my unicorn!

Re:

Is Chris still anodising? Thought I read on here that he was scaling down that side of his business...

Re: Re:

Bollox64":1apcca9t said:
Is Chris still anodising? Thought I read on here that he was scaling down that side of his business...
:facepalm: Eem, yeah I think you're right. I'll get the Sharpies out :LOL:

Re:

It's likely just a finger grease smudge ... and me thinks you would be best aesthetically to stick with all XTR, rather than change the skewers ...

Re: Re:

k-rod":21v1cslt said:
It's likely just a finger grease smudge ... and me thinks you would be best aesthetically to stick with all XTR, rather than change the skewers ...

I may stick with the XTR skewers for build iteration number one ;) Cheers.

CCMDoc":311crzw4 said:
Bollox64":311crzw4 said:
Come on Regan - some more bits must've arrived by now :LOL:
And DVDs ...
The DVDs are awesome Paul! Still not watched more than half of one :facepalm:
Bollox64":311crzw4 said:
Come on Regan - some more bits must've arrived by now :LOL:
TBH Alec all I need to procure to finish the parts list is a plastic cable guide for the FD that runs under the BB. Any ideas where I'll find one? I think Argos Racing might have one actually...

As for the other bits, I've still not moved on getting the forks repainted/powdercoated. I need to pull my finger out but I'm in no desperate rush. I'm just being lazy and I'm targeting getting it finished before December. I'm hoping to take it to The Netherlands for the Christmas Fayre and ride at the museum.

The über rare, über cool Alpinestars MegaLite Carbon bars have arrived. They're in stunning condition and really don't look like they've had any use. Uncut of course, just a couple of small scratches near the ends. Absolutely perfect and must be one of the rarest Alpinestars MTB components anywhere now.

There's also a backstory that I have to share for posterity and is another reminder of how fantastic and fraternal the wider Retrobike community can be...

From a Facebook group I joined some time late last year I befriended a guy in Australia, he's got an Alpinestars T26 and was after something I had. We've become good internet buddies. Fast forward to about June and he sent me pics of the bars which a Norweigan guy had shown to him. I didn't quite believe the photos if I'm honest. Sounded like BS or a scam! Anyway, he kindly passed the offer onto me knowing about the Ti-Mega and that they'd be perfect for it. I then contacted the owner of the bars, André, who was unable/unwilling/unable to put a price on them. Not just because they're rare but because they were gifted to him by a late friend of his who passed away following a battle with cancer and a fellow Alpinestars nut, left them to him. He was toying with the idea of building an Alpinestars but he's a Klein lover and collector at heart. The bars were not for sale but he would do a swap if I could find an M735 XT short cage mech in NOS-to-mint condition with a DARK GREY faceplate (not the usual black) to match a grey-plated front mech on his Adroit Rainforest. Anal, maybe, but that's my kind of attention to detail. I admired him for putting the feelers out. And I had one. The chances of all this happening are Biblical. The deal was done, mech shipped to Norway, and after a bit of a delay (anyone who knows André knows he works at André's own unique pace haha!) they finally landed with me a fortnight ago. They're a thing of real beauty. Only available from the Alpinestars accessory brochure they must've cost a bomb back in 91/92! I'd previously looked at those in the brochure when researching all things Alpinestars about a year ago, and considered them purely a mythical part that probably only existed for a brochure photo shoot and never got produced. Or at the least, if they ever were they'd be in ultra low numbers. And even then, surely nobody bought them? And if they did they'd have probably broken or vanished? Surely?!

It's unreal to get them for this Ti-Mega build. The stars have really aligned for me. Alpine Stars! :cool:

(I also picked up NOS original ODI Attack John Tomac grips (with a mushroom sticker!) at Iconoclassic and this mysterious Alpinestars short sleeve jersey. It's a 1991 design and logo, but a previously unseen colour combo, canary, red, dark blue on white. Doesn't appear in any brochure but it's cool!)
Montage shot, in my best artsy-fartsy style of the jersey, seatpost, headset, bars and grips...

That is freakin fantastic!
The planets aligned on your behalf and the bars are yours. Well deserved!

It didn't have the cable guide when I bought it but if I find one I'll ship it over.

Just to whet your whistle

6B7B8D59-4A9E-46A5-81EC-95DC402F5386_zpstgabiqat.jpg

CCMDoc":3uqmgcyw said:
That is freakin fantastic!
The planets aligned on your behalf and the bars are yours. Well deserved!

It didn't have the cable guide when I bought it but if I find one I'll ship it over.

Just to whet your whistle

6B7B8D59-4A9E-46A5-81EC-95DC402F5386_zpstgabiqat.jpg
Hey Paul thanks man! I think a cable guide is an easy fix so don't worry.

Whoa, whistle well and truly whetted! Is that this frame in a former life or another bike? I really like the Litespeed-built stems, although they've been done to death on Ti-Mega builds and a really fear it's an impossible find. However, the Alpinestars clamp-on stem I have coupled with the 1992 Alpinestars Aluminum ODS fork and those bars should make for a unique build and one that'll look great with full Shimano M900 XTR and full Alpinestars catalogue hardware. As previously stated, I intend to do a couple of build iterations on this over time, and I've just bought a 1¼" ATAC quill to use on this at some point, probably if the Manitou2s go on it for a Tim Davies-esque build.

I also just bought a pair of NOS tanwall Kevlar Onza Porcs identical to the ones that Nick from TPC used on his Ti Mega so they might make an appearance at some stage too.

Black Mavic M231 or black Ritchey Vantage Comp rims would be a real game changer if I could find a pair too. But the silver ones I've got were used by both Tim and Mike Kloser on their race Ti Megas so they're somewhat in keeping with the theme I'm aiming for.

Saddle is gonna have to wait another while longer though, unless I fit the NOS Avocet Racing 1 off the Al Mega XTR.

I'M RAMBLING AGAIN. I'LL SHUT THE F**K UP NOW! :oops::LOL:

Latest posts

Back