1988 Rocky Mountain Avalanche... ooooooh Yea!

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":19z1ck3i said:
Were the thumbies hard to find in 6 speed ?

Well, the entire 6 speed XT group is hard to find... over the past 6 months I ended up buying two bikes just so that I could collect the group...

The wheels were the hardest as they have a different rear spacing... this frame originally came with mostly road parts because it's just that old... it came from the factory with a shimano 105 road bike headset and shimano 105 road hubs... the frame is spaced for road hubs (126mm)...

The XT wheels, XT shifters and XT crank came off a 1987 Blizzard

The XT front and rear mechs and brake levers came off an early 80's diamondback

The XT rear U brake is NOS

The 1" syncros noodle stem took a long time to find... but suits the build nicely.... it came with a ritchey force 1" stem but syncros just looks better on this frame...

The original seatpost is a suntour 26.8 but it was a loose fit... a 27.0 syncros slides in nicely... a tad tight but does go in an out just fine (I find that syncros posts are always a tad smaller than the average post of the same size... i.e. an old suntour 27.0 is bigger in diameter than a syncros... probably more likely that the syncros is exactly 27.0 and the suntour / off brand ones are a tad bigger...

Still not sure on the seat... I would like to use a blue and yellow turbo like that but would like one in better shape... I'll have to keep my eyes open for one...

Re:

I guess you know, but except the shifters and hubs your parts are actually 7 speed/XT II. Or correct me if i'm wrong. Very nice, btw.

I am after 730 parts at a reasonable price for half a year now. Just aquired a rear mech, only missing are the shifters.

Re: Re:

reindeer":bgsnbcna said:
I guess you know, but except the shifters and hubs your parts are actually 7 speed/XT II. Or correct me if i'm wrong. Very nice, btw.

I am after 730 parts at a reasonable price for half a year now. Just aquired a rear mech, only missing are the shifters.

Yup, more concerned with condition that originality.

Those shifters are tricky to find, best bet is to use 7 speed ones on friction for the time being.

If I find a set I'll let you know...

Latest posts

Back