1992 Rocky Mountain Èquipe --- Also known as the difference between Èquipe and Team Comp

NigelFinnighan

Rocky Mountain Fan
Ok first things first, I was on the road a few weeks ago to pick up my Merlin (it's a 99, too old for this), as one does, I looked around for other interesting bikes to bring home. I found this, made an offer he accepted. I strapped it to my roof and drove home. I Haden't had a chance to clean it up of all it's old man bits, and give it a rub down til now.

I'm not sure of the Wildgripper's, I just didn't want to use Smoke/Dart, and well, here we are. let me know your thoughts on those.

IMG_5836.jpeg
IMG_5839.jpeg
I picked it up missing it's original tires, & front brake. The original owner passed the original stem with it. It cleaned up super nice, so I'm happy.

So now that I have both a 92 Equipe and a 92 Team Comp, and in light of the occasional conversation about them, I took them both out and did a comparison.

Please keep in mind that my Team Comp is a 18.5 and the Equipe is a 20. The major differences between them first is Equipe has "Rocky Mountain" drop outs, where as the Team Comp has "Ritchey" drop outs. The other difference is the rear canti stop is much nicer on the Team Comp.

IMG_5840.jpeg IMG_5848.jpeg IMG_5845.jpeg IMG_5850.jpeg

Here they are side by side, In hindsight I should have put the smaller one in the foreground. you get what you get.

IMG_5847.jpeg

Other difference as previously discussed, the mystery of the different serial numbers.

IMG_5842.jpeg IMG_5855.jpeg

I got fancy with my photos.
IMG_5857.jpeg

Over all, they're the same tube set Tange Prestige Ultimate Ultralight. I'd assume the same geometry. I thought for a second the Team Comp had slight racier backend... but I think that's the difference in frame size. The Team Comp seems finished better to me, the welds nicer overall. That doesn't indicate where it was made. But they're obviously not the same frame, too may differences to be the same of a different name.

Now as to where the Team Comp was made vs. where the Equipe was made... I have no clue, it's all hearsay and hear is saying a bunch of things- The Equipe's serial follows all other overseas made bikes. I910893**. The Team Comp has the 4 digit serial number that follows most other Canadian made frames 3713.

In the end, it really doesn't matter- they're both made from a a wicked tube set, they're both lively and fast, and they're both lovely to look at.

Nice comparison Joel, as an fyi I have a 92 Blizzard with a long serial number and a 92 Hammer with a 4 digit. Likely just made in different factories overseas?

Yup totally possible, though I don’t know any over seas builders using a 4 digit serial. Would have to be small boutique to go through so few frames numbers I’d imagine.

92 hammer with a 4 digit? That’s interesting, whats the colour way? Typical 92?

92 blizzards were made overseas from what I understand, 91 too I believe. Unsure of other years.

Just sold my '92 Titanium, as it was way too small for me, a real shame. On the other hand I have a time capsule '92 Hammer in my size waiting for a resto.

Yup totally possible, though I don’t know any over seas builders using a 4 digit serial. Would have to be small boutique to go through so few frames numbers I’d imagine.

92 hammer with a 4 digit? That’s interesting, whats the colour way? Typical 92?

92 blizzards were made overseas from what I understand, 91 too I believe. Unsure of other years.
The Hammer is black.

The Hammer is black.
That's super cool, a laser black hammer with a 4 digit serial, are the frame details identical to longer serial numbered hammers? my early 92 hammer still has the steerer tube cable stops, I'd assume yours does too? also going to assume it's S/N is smaller than 3713?

Latest posts

Back