1988 Brodie Climbmax

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
So, it’s official, I’m finally in the Brodie club 😁 🥳

The Brodie I was so fortunate to purchase was at our swap meet two Sundays ago but that day I was not in bike buying mode and somehow it did not sell either while being priced very reasonably (lucky me).

I’ve always wanted a Brodie but always assumed one would be unattainable and how would I ever convince my better half?

Well this weekend I found the right words to get her blessing to at least add another bike to the stable if I promised to make the basement (my workshop) ship shape again (a promise I will keep).

Anyway, that same day I spoke with my wife (last Saturday) I went for a ride with Roy and Dave on the Fraser river and while enjoying a pint along the way I put it out there that I was on the hunt for a Brodie and then started a chain of events. It's great to meet new friends that share a common interest and gain new riding buddies at the same time also making connections with local collectors in-the-know, it was Dave that reminded me to hit up Rob who had the Climbmax for sale at the swap meet.

Well, this morning I snuck out of work for a bit and made deal with the seller Rob for a more than fair amount and brought the Climbmax home 😎

It’s a 19” but not too big for me (this was the only concern I had prior to seeing it up close). It’s an 88’, serial number 478 painted by Rich (hand signed) in neon/fluro red, see original invoice below as well. The paint is original & amazing and will be staying, the patina actually adds to everything, I’ll work on some touch ups using model paint if possible to potentially to keep rust at bay. It's even got the pump peg on the NDS and Rob through in a pump!

Wish it had a Gatorblade but the Spinner on it is perfectly suitable for my taste. Nice to get a bike mostly done for a change. The Fabric saddle is a placeholder, I’ll be getting a Flite for it (Turbo would suit better but Flites are my fave) and even though heavy I think it needs M733 shorty brake levers, tan walls for sure so probably repro Smoke/Dart combo.

Anyway, below are as-bought pics. I’ve never been more exited about a bicycle purchase 😍

Big thanks to @Retro_Roy , @Superretrodave & especially @rismtb !!!

More to come as I strip, clean, swap some parts and get this beauty back on the trail, can't wait!

20230515_174341141_iOS.jpg
20230515_174354176_iOS.jpg
20230515_174400949_iOS.jpg
20230515_174406366_iOS.jpg
20230515_174413414_iOS.jpg
20230515_174427284_iOS.jpg
20230515_174617969_iOS.jpg
20230515_174649340_iOS.jpg
Invoice.JPG

I plan to go through the Climbmax with a fine tooth comb but wanted to go for a spin before the tear down, cabled her up last night and before work today and went for a quick spin. The ride is very nice, noticeable even in the 5 minute ride I took this morning. Handlebar feels too high.

I think black chainrings would look great compared to silver, any thoughts?

Also, I want to change the Syncros stem (stick it on another bike). As I said, the handlebars are higher than I want and it will need to have a built in hanger/noodle guide rather than the dreaded headset/steerer hanger which I do have on a few bikes but not this one :cool: , I think a slim steel stem would look better

20230516_133357199_iOS.jpg

I posted this question in the MTB Kit section but may as well ask here too because its for this build:

Wondering if anyone knows whether the early LX crank dust caps were plastic or metal. Or even hazard a guess.

If they are metal the ones below could be polished up. I think the plastic versions seen around do not typically sit flush but almost have a thin mushroom edge preventing them screwing in all the way.

Buying an old LX crank with rings I need and the pictured dust caps may kill two birds with one stone in getting dust caps and rings:

Capture22222.JPG

Back