1988 Off-Road Toad (Updated Pics page 8)

Re: 1988 Off-Road Toad

I just had the forks stripped of their old paint. The paint was likely applied by the original owner. I vaguely remember him buying the forks about six months after the frame, and they came unpainted to save money. He must have brushed on some black paint because it was really uneven, hence there being more exposed steel and rust issues on the fork than the rest of the frame. Nothing too serious though, the worst corrosion is on the right dropout.

This was the only real frame damage; some pretty substantial chain suck injuries behind the bottom bracket. This included an actual 'c'-shaped puncture of the chain stay tube.

Luckily my guy is good. Frame repaired and ready for paint touch ups...

Re:

Some progress. Robin has finally matched the blue and has painted the forks, stem and a nasty scuff on the underside of the down tube. And what a great match it is! Really coming along now. I hope my wheels are done before the frame is finished. If so, it should come together pretty quickly...

That's great work. Excited to see further progress :)

How did I miss this thread?

Great frame! I'd love to see one of those irl...

Signing in!

Yes Roy, I did find some black IRD Switchbacks. But I was planning on using them for the other 1991 tig welded Toad I had briefly, before I acquired this 1988 fillet brazed Toad. The Switchbacks would have been perfect on the other Toad, but now I am not so sure. My instinct is to use black XT M732 cantilevers for this build instead. Still mulling my options...

Back