1987 brodie fb romax white/pink fade

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
once again we step into the world of early (pre 1989) brodies where oddities and anomolies are the norm not the exception.
just over a month ago we had the fillet brazed romax with tig welded joint at the downtube/headtube junction which looked
to possibly be the real deal.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=305956&hilit=romax

this month I bring you another sample of the unusual. posted in chat section because I don't own this one.
I was asked to post it for your viewing pleasure.
though obvious from the pictures I'd like to make note, this is another example of paint by rich.

here are the unusual characteristics of this particular bike.

1. paul might have put ritchey stems on his bikes when they didn't come with a brodie specific stem.
bike shops that just bought frames certainly did. stem on this bike looks to be a brobie modified ritchey stem.
the side load feature has been done to it. a characteristic of brodie stems. here's a recent example of
paul's work RockiMtn had done to a later vintage brodie stem.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=263251&hilit=brodie&start=60

2. the handlebar, although not too unusual in it's self , will get a mention as well.
has mounts on underside for something. accessories I presume. lights maybe?
it is painted to match rear fade and has similar fading and patina so possibly
was modified by paul as well. a bar such as this could have been available. I'm guessing.

3. downtube has dual water bottle mounts (as per rocky avalanche) which I believe paul
had something to with as well when he was at rocky. first brodie I have seen or heard of with this feature.

4. internal top tube cable routing. although not really an oddity, this feature seems to becoming
the norm on the fillet brazed frames. plus it's a characteristic I really like so I will mention it. :)

5. I have saved the best one for last. instead of cable stops on the downtube, paul has provided
thru sleeve guides to allow continuous cable housing to the under chainstay u-brake. I consider this
the most interesting feature because this is the first time it has come to lite on a brodie frame.

hope you all enjoy this one. I do. :cool:

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,272
  • paint9.jpg
    paint9.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,110
  • paint8.jpg
    paint8.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,110
  • paint7.jpg
    paint7.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • paint4.jpg
    paint4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • paint5.jpg
    paint5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • paint6.jpg
    paint6.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
Re:

:shock:

Re: Re:

Mr.Toad":n9drz317 said:
i'm guessing Thunderbolt.

Lets see more pix, pretty please.
ah Mr. Toad, you haven't been paying attention to the brodie threads have you. :roll:
if so you'd have recognized paint by rich. ;)
(just saying this to bump the thread since I edited it) :)

Re:

Lovely Roy. It's the details that make these all the more interesting. Your friend must be delighted with this one ;)

Re:

Wow, beautiful lines, great build, quite a find.

It's really amazing how many older Brodie's are popping up. I'm guessing most owners cherished these bikes and took good care of them. It's also neat to see the variety of details seen on these older frames.

Cool bike!!

Retro_Roy":3baznnza said:
1. we know paul put ritchey stems on his bikes when they didn't come with a brodie specific stem.
stem on this bike looks to be a brobie modified ritchey stem.
the side load feature has been done to it. a characteristic of brodie stems.

Nice! I would have to say that the stem is not a modified Ritchey. If you look at the side view you can see where the stem tube meets the vertical quill tube... it sticks pas on the side and kind of bulges out... Ritchey stems did not do this, but Pauls own stems did (matches the way the rear seat stays meet the seat tube)

My guess is that this is the same is his fillet brazed stems but only tig welded for some reason.

But I'm no expert...

Here's a pic of the fillet brazed stem on my Romax

Attachments

• file-2.jpg
    file-2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 985
  • file-1.jpg
    file-1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 985
Re:

upon additional inspection and comparison, i am i agreement with you.
it's is in fact a brodie stem. even better. actually a fillet brazed one would be even better.
who knows what might come around.

Back