1987 Brodie Romax Barn Find / Restoration

Cdn_Bobber

Retro Newbie
Good Morning. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had an old mountain bike he built up in @1991 and had in his crawlspace. I knew about it, but didn't know anything about it. He was moving and downsizing and asked if I wanted the bike. I went to pick it up and discovered it was a Brodie Sovereign. After investigation I learned through a couple local guru's that it was in fact a 1987 Brodie Romax, serial number #181, that would make it the 68th Brodie frame made. I contacted Paul Brodie and he confirmed that it was built in April of 1987. He remembers this particular frame as he was painting it Imron Lt Continental metallic blue in his backyard and it fell from the apple tree screwing up the paint job. A well known local racer brought it from Paul with a discount and raced it. My friend said he brought the frame from a local buy and sell paper at the time. He painted the frame black and added Sovereign stickers (Not sure why). He then built up the bike with parts directly from the Syncros factory, Brodie and a store in Vancouver, BC at the time called Mountain and Beach. He basically never rode the bike. You can see there is no wear on the rims or tires. I plan on repainted the bike to its original colors etc. I will post my progress on the site. Thanks for reading. Brodie_A.jpg 20211001_163612.jpg PXL_20220123_022744366.MP.jpg

Brodies always look way ahead of their time, not many other bikes that I can think of from circa 1987 with that progressive geometry. I think it's stunning as it is, classy and understated even with the modest amount of bling. Look forward to seeing it restored to original spec though.

Wooooowwww.

What a score.!

Really excited to see how this develops.

And as @Dr Dremel said, impressive you're even doing work any work on it bar removing the incorrect decal and the unnecessary 3DV! It's a beautiful thing already.

Looks on a the larger side too.

One thing I've always appreciated about Paul's bikes is that the bigger sizes still look good. And rapid! I mean, look at that head tube! And it still looks fast just sitting there.

(Cliche klaxon!)

I have a vested interest in watching this build develop, so please don't be shy with updates! ;) Oh, and plenty of photos please!!

Back