1984 Raleigh Record Sprint

Craney72":3rapo3qp said:
Hi, please see my RRS that is used 2 to 3 times a week.
I have been slowly upgrading it back to original spec over the last few months and within the next 3 weeks it will somewhat change again.
I will be changing the following.
The rear hub is silver but I will be fitting an original black mallard hub
It's currently a 7 speed sach block but I have the original 6 speed suntour to go on
I have the black plastic gear levers to go on but to go even more original I have a couple more things to find and a decision to make.
Firstly I am after a A very good example of a selle royal saddle and a good example of Shimano 105 gold arrow draillieurs. Done the usual eBay thing but no good.
Finally I have a silver stronglight crank on the bike. I know that the RRS should have an all gold set however I prefer the sugino gt black/gold crank. I have bought 2 GT sets to make one good set but do you think I should go for the original gold crank.
I have loads of parts left from the donor bike that I have not cleaned up yet so if your interested or need something then let me know
Cheers

You don't want the all-gold one because the chainrings aren't replaceable. Once they're worn out, you're stuffed.

I've had mine since september. I expect them to die after about a year.

Re:

Thanks for all your replies, been taking you advise on dating and have found the serial number
It starts NS5
Looking at a couple of sites it seems to match up as Nottingham January 1985, am I right?

Re:

Yes, that's right

An '85 model would have the Sugino GT crank set, so that's one part of the puzzle sorted! :)

I haven't managed to find an '85 brochure (yet) so I'm not sure what the rest of the spec is

However, it'll be close to to the '84 I suspect

Re:

Hi all, sorry to be a pain, anybody got any good tips for bringing up the gold on the crankset as not gonna re-anodise and lose what's left of the wording.
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 907
The only way (AFAIK) would be to re-anodise the crank

I've seen them re-done, but the colour is never quite the same...

By the look of your's they've had some significant wear, but if you're going to ride it then I wouldn't worry too much

I rubbed off some of the gold on mine with the side of my shoe. Warning, RRS cult: that squeak when you pedal isn't something to "fix when you get home".

Back