1984 Raleigh Record Sprint

It's not really low spec. Pretty much bang on middle of the range and with some well chosen parts, bar the chainset they carried over from the previous year.

This is a brilliant looking bike, and yeah, no need to change the tyres. I changed them out on mine (same year) only because they'd perished from loads of UV light, the gumwalls go almost black and full of cracks. Yours are still brand new.

Edit: Just googled. Your tyres were still sold in 2012 so likely the old owner fitted them recently. I thought it was a bit odd, the ones on mine were Raleigh branded.

Tubes will be fine, I still run the originals and they've never so much as had one puncture in 30 years :shock:

The black anodising will wear off super fast so I really recommend using a different wheel-set on it. You might have the only new set of black weinmann concaves left in the world. (?) I know I can't find any.

Welcome to the cult of the RRS. We have bottle opener freewheel tools and toe overlap for everyone.

Bats":6gkcw4pu said:
Edit: Just googled. Your tyres were still sold in 2012 so likely the old owner fitted them recently. I thought it was a bit odd, the ones on mine were Raleigh branded.

The black anodising will wear off super fast so I really recommend using a different wheel-set on it. You might have the only new set of black weinmann concaves left in the world. (?) I know I can't find any.

Welcome to the cult of the RRS. We have bottle opener freewheel tools and toe overlap for everyone.

I suppose it is possible they were changed at some point in the past if the originals had perished but the owner seemed sure nothing had been changed? I suppose Cheng Shin have been producing tyres for decades now. Not sure when they introduced the Super HP?

However, I think the tyres fitted are a fair age though as I took the bike for a quick spin round the block earlier this evening and when I got back and checked everything the tyres had started to crumble :( The sidewalls are rock hard and any flex or pressure on them just causes them to split and crack (pic below). It's like this on both front and rear tyres right the way round.

I know what you mean about the wheelset :) I have been in 2 minds whether to use them or keep them. Never had a helicomatic before either but at least as you say I'll never be without something to open my beers :LOL:

Looks like you've found a new and exciting type of dry rot!

At least a set of new black walls will match the bike better.

Bats":90bcrtzl said:
Looks like you've found a new and exciting type of dry rot!

At least a set of new black walls will match the bike better.

You can't put black walls on a RRS!!!

Michelin Dynamic amber walls if you are after something 'cheap and cheerful', otherwise there are other options out there!

Hoping to have my RRS finished soon, just need to rebuild the wheels!

What, yeah you can. All the good tyres these days are black, and they look better anyway. Amber doesn't match gloss black.

Some big fat 28cs fill out the brake clearances quite nice, though now it's getting warmer maybe I'll get some skinny pro 4s...

Re:

I was thinking of going for another set of gumwalls to keep the period look but do have some all black tyres here that I might throw on to see how it looks ;)

Re:

The pics show the setup of the bike as it was when I got it. I have since raised the seat a few inches to suit me as I am 6ft with a 33" leg so a 23.5" frame is the perfect size :)

I vote this one of the best bike I ever seen so far in this forum. I think I never saw an all original bike so far here or elsewhere.

Congratulation. Of course new tyres will be gumwall too right? I'd go for Scwhalbe.

Back