1978 Raleigh Stowaway

I finally took the frame to Yorvik Engineering today to be powdercoated. They have a huge range of options and finishes, better than anywhere else I've been or looked at and the finish on the products that were awaiting collection in there looked very good.

There was also a green Fat Chance in there awaiting powdercoating - belong to anyone on here?

I need better to light to capture the candy colour, but I picked the parts up from the powdercoaters this morning and I'm delighted with the colour and finish:

Powdercoating%2B%25281%2529.JPG

Powdercoating%2B%25282%2529.JPG

Long-overdue update:

I was intending to build this up ages ago, given I (should) have all the parts. I got as far as installing the headset to find that the new forks are JIS, so use a 27.0mm crown race :facepalm:

I could use the original forks. After all, I got them powdercoated too in case I needed to use them for any reason. But the new forks are much nicer and it seems a waste not to use them.

So I have finally got around to phoning every LBS in reasonable travelling distance to find only two of them have ever had the tool to ream the fork down to 26.4mm and neither of those still have it.

Buying the tool (for once) is not an option, as they are expensive and I can't envisage ever needing to do it again. So I can either try to do it myself with a file or look for someone further afield and post the forks. I probably would have done it myself if I had realised pre-powdercoat, but now I'm pretty sure I will scuff the finish if I try, so I'll start looking further afield. I've messaged someone on here who had stated in the past they had the tool, but any further leads/suggestions welcomed.

You could fit a traditional headset in JIS size and do away with the nylon bushing - less damping of course

I'm not using the original headset, but a Geliano ISO one. If I understand correctly the cups from a JIS headset wouldn't fit the frame properly would they?

It's looking like I'll just have to use the original forks and ditch the superior replacements.

Re:

they'll be fine (at least they were on mine), you might need a little bit of loctite just to hold them

Re:

Where are we on this?
frame = iso
Fork = jis
Headset you have = iso

Reduce fork steerer diameter 0.2mm by a filing and sanding or finding somebody with a suitable lath? Wold across the bridge in Barton?
Try contacting the local CTC or see if cott cycles know of anyone. Could even try York Rally organisers (easy if you had Facebook) to see if they know anyone.

Back