1978 Raleigh Stowaway

Well, finally a bit more progress. A very big thank you to Dan (danson67) for the loan of a bottom bracket chamfering tool and a die to recut the fork thread to 24 tpi.

I've also cold set the rear drop outs and front forks to 126/100mm. Next job is to get some decent metal files and file out the rear dropouts and a slight burr in the bottom bracket shell and then I think it's ready to go to the powdercoaters.

I also managed to pick up some alternative forks this week. They're made by Ishitawa, slightly lighter with forged drop-outs and correctly threaded and spaced. I picked them up for a bargain price and I'll probably end up using them, but it'll be good to have two fork options. I just have to decide whether to clean them up and leave them chrome or get them powdercoated to match the frame, as I intend to do with the original forks.

K0FKVlEo0IgIHj0E1Es-23SEytVjDQXd9BuuEQPswiA=w581-h775-no

Hey, delighted the forks worked out for you!

Good choice on the Scott/3tt AT-3's too. I've got a few sets of those in my pile!

Best of luck with the build.

Really pleased with them thanks. Recommended seller ^ if you are after some similar and he's not sold them all.

Managing some progress on one of my projects feels good after quite awhile of inactivity.

cool Twenty project

Ive built a few Twentys. Got a Stowaway on erto 406 20" 3 speed alloys.

Also got a couple of what I consider to be the Twentys clan. A Grifter and a Mark 1 Burner. They'll get modded too.

You should have seen me fidgeting excitedly in my chair when I saw that another Twenty project had cropped up. I love the metallic purple colour. It should look superb when its done. I was watching some footage of Alex Moulton caining one of his brilliant small wheelers a few days ago, and there is just something magical about tiny wheels and big speeds.

Keep those pictures coming.

gavr, lovely to see yours again too. :D

Thanks for the comments. As soon as next payday comes around I'll get some files to sort out the rear dropouts and then it will be ready to head off for powdercoating.

The wheels still need building, but I'm tempted to give that a go myself, even if I then need to take them somewhere to have them trued.

Well, the dropouts are very satisfactorily filed to take a standard size axle .... but the frame still hasn't gone to the powdercoaters. The inside of the bottom bracket shell is slightly to tight for a Mavic bottom bracket to fit through properly, so just need to file it off a bit. I started doing this manually, but it's a lot of work, so will hopefully get a helpful shortcut soon :)

Whilst that's happening, I decided to have a go at building the front wheel, in a 3-leading, 3 trailing pattern:

Front%2Bwheel%2B-%2Bhalf%2Blaced.JPG

Wheelbuilding%2Bat%2Bwork.JPG

Front%2Bwheel%2B-%2Blaced.JPG

It still needs tensioning and truing, but so far so good.

Back