1948 Hobbs Super Course

Martin Rattler

Retro Guru
P1010199 by JuanM58, on Flickr

P1010197 by JuanM58, on Flickr

I have, it has been suggested by some, ‘too many’ bicycles so I wasn’t really looking for another project but I don’t have a single speed machine and this looked as if it would fit the bill. I was visiting a V-CC club member who had kindly collected my Pat Hanlon after I had been forced to abandon it at the lunch stop after a crash which fractured my shoulder blade. I spotted this in a collection of stuff destined for his next jumble and intercepted it en route. It is a lugless frame with chrome plated forks and as the photos show the forks are provided with fishplates for mudguard stays but the frame has mudguard eyes on the dropouts. The frame and forks have matching numbers, those on the forks appear to have been applied pre-plating so I assume that this anomaly is just down to post-war component availability. The frame was refinished by Mario Vaz a while ago and came to me with a BW bottom bracket, seatpost clamp and some, or perhaps most of a Lytalloy headset. The seller thought that it was a Criterium model but some brief research suggests that with its 1” top tube it is more likely to a Super Course.

As I mentioned I intend to set this up as a single speed machine and obtained an Airlite 40 hole fixed/free LF hub from Ebay. From other sources I got hold of some Weinmann rims an Airlite hubbed front wheel in need of a rebuild. I had assumed that this was a 32 hole hub but on closer inspection it turned out to be a 28, so I will build the wheels as 40/28 and hope that it doesn’t look too odd.

My next mistaken assumption was that the frame was built for 27” wheels. Well it certainly looked like it to me but when I came to offer up the Hidiminium callipers I had chosen there was no way that they were going to be suitable, the drop being far too great. So it looks as if it was built for 26” wheels with generous clearances, which given its age makes sense as I would likely have been used as a general purpose machine. Due to the scarcity of 26” wheels or 40 hole 700c rims I decided to persevere with my plan for 27” wheels. Offering up a set of Weinmann 500 callipers gave me some encouragement but I would prefer parts from the correct era. The Hidiminium callipers were swapped with a set of Universal Model 51s from my Gillott Continental but the drop of these proved to be a smidgen too deep at the front and rather more at the rear; a radical solution was required. After a bit of thought I decided to machine an eccentric brake mount for front calliper and a plate to fit the rear calliper above the rear brake mount. The picture shows the Mk1 effort which was turned on a three-jaw chuck, it was difficult to turn this with any accuracy but it has provided an additional 5mm or so of reach. I got a 4-jaw chuck for Christmas, so the Mk2 version should be better and I will use some 6mm rod rather than stud to reduce wear on the alloy calliper. As no vintage parts were harmed in the making of this arrangement I can easily return everything to its original state should I come across some more suitable wheels in the future

FB Mount by JuanM58, on Flickr

Hobbs FB by JuanM58, on Flickr

Hobbs RB by JuanM58, on Flickr

More soon.

I have one of those. Different forks and seat stay ends though. Also GB brakes fit with 27", 700c and 26" (just)

Re:

Interesting,

I have two of these one in Green Flam' the other in Orange Flam'. Both with the rare brass and glass enamel head badge.

I run S/A hubs on both.

Jon.

Re:

Wheels by JuanM58, on Flickr

At last we have wheels. Airlite LF hubs with Weinmann rims. Being 28 hole, the front needed 310mm spokes to build it up three cross and although I would have preferred butted spokes only plain gauge are available in these lengths. The original spokes were rather shorter than this and I suspect that this was originally built two cross…and no, I didn’t think to check before I took it apart. Of course these spokes were out of stock at Spa Cycles so I had to wait a few weeks before I could get cracking. The rear is 40 hole and built four cross as normal. The rear rim is a little tired and it took a fair bit of patient tweaking to get things round and true but it has turned out pretty well. There isn’t a mark on the front so that looks as good as new. I have fitted a set of bronze Huret wingnuts (EBay) fore and aft which sets off the alloy hubs nicely and I don’t think that the 27” wheels look too odd given that the frame appears to have been built for 26”.

A honey Brooks swallow is fitted to a Stratalite seatpost and random bars on a Pivo stem. I have a rather nice GB spearpoint earmarked for this project but for some reason it wouldn’t go round the bend of these bars despite appearing to be the correct diameter. In the longer term I intend to fit steel track bars so hopefully will be able to use the GB stem with those. The Mk2 front brake mount is in the lathe half-finished and I just need the weather to get a bit warmer and more conducive to standing quietly in the garage in order for me to finish. More soon.

Re:

21.2no2 by JuanM58, on Flickr

21.2no1 by JuanM58, on Flickr

21.2no3 by JuanM58, on Flickr

Some further progress made with the Hobbs. A pair of Conti 27 x 1 ¼ tyres fitted, these are a pair that I had in stock and they do seem a bit balloon-like to be honest but stop the rims scraping on the floor, which is half the battle I find. I’ll look out for some narrower ones for future use. Rear hub fitted with new modern 1/8” x 19T Sturmey Archer freewheel and a NOS Villiers 18T fixed sprocket. The chainset is a Williams C34 fitted with a 46 tooth chainwheel date stamped for 1934, I obtained this from EBay a few years ago and it has seen service on my RO Harrison, it has been re-chromed and is in very good condition. This set up should give around 66/70 inches which seems like a good starting point. Pedals are Philips ‘Phillite’ alloys, again from EBay, somewhat patinated but they have cleaned up nicely and feel lovely and smooth since being rebuilt. I have been having second thoughts about the stem and as my intention is to fit steel bars so I have obtained a lugged steel stem which is probably too modern but should at least look the part. The mark II front brake mount has been turned up on the lathe, polished and blued and gives a little more clearance than the original. I am still not entirely happy with this and am considering a more elegant design…Next, making the brakes and the transmission work.

Progressing nicely mate :)
I know you are still working on things and are maybe not happy with a couple of things but from where I am sitting that is one very lovely Hobbs.
The attention to detail is clearly showing through and I for one am really looking forward to seeing this at each stage.

Jamie

Back