Syncros revolution cracked powerplate - advice?

I'd assume the manufacturing process would be as follows..
Square taper is forged into a blank....

Do you think you could form this using a taper from a bb parallel turned behind taper to fit in a hydraulic press (in an adapter with suitable hole), press this into blank machined with hole dia (TBD), leave taper in place, mount in lathe on parallel section of bb, cut threads remove taper using crank extractor / heat, remount to taper (JIC any distortion to release/relieve from forging) then as above?

Very possibly underestimating the forging forces required??

I'm not sure.. the drilling, tapping, turning parts i can do but i'd leave the cold forging to the experts

Do you think you could form this using a taper from a bb parallel turned behind taper to fit in a hydraulic press (in an adapter with suitable hole), press this into blank machined with hole dia (TBD), leave taper in place, mount in lathe on parallel section of bb, cut threads remove taper using crank extractor / heat, remount to taper (JIC any distortion to release/relieve from forging) then as above?

Very possibly underestimating the forging forces required??
That's an interesting idea on how to do the square taper. I'll do some research and contact some companies. Don't know either what kind of forces are required.

If there's a way of forming the square taper economically yet accurately then the rest is standard machine shop fare.

Even if not feasible it's interesting to explore the possibility - please share what you're able to learn.

In picture one, the crack has virtually reached the taper socket!
Original would have been hot drop forged to the basic shape.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes CAD-ing up the baseplate wouldn't be a problem for me, it is more the execution of manufacturing as well as removing the old baseplate.
But reading your replies and thinking more about this I believe I should explore replacing the complete baseplate.

I'll will keep sharing the progress.
First step will be to figure out how to press/pull out the baseplate without damaging the crank.

If no longer required (all measurements taken etc.) you could dissolve it with caustic soda. Drastic but no danger to the steel crank!

Back