RC200 F8 Build Advice Needed

banjaxt

Dirt Disciple
Just landed this wee beaut on eBay for £500.
I think I got an ok deal considering it's an F8..

Not sure how to build it up though..

!BTZ18lg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl26,yBKIUEGuOug~~_3.JPG

I'm thinking some crossmax (as the frame's disc only, otherwise i'd have gone for some old hope ti's on 517SUP CDs), middleburn RS3s, magura martas, monkeylites, thompson stem.

Any thoughts?

Result! Looks like a belter! Build it to use bud! They ride so well once you've got them sorted (you tend to sit right over the bars if you run flats hence why i went for risers). Worth every penny! Did mine modern with a few retro touches, tyres, XTR chainset, Charge brown spoon etc otherwise full XTR, Ritchey WCS stem, thomp's post and Mavics. You'll be amazed how well it climbs and how quick the front end pops up. Keep us posted with pics.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,004
Awkward Kid":32wvm2g1 said:
Result! Looks like a belter! Build it to use bud! They ride so well once you've got them sorted (you tend to sit right over the bars if you run flats hence why i went for risers). Worth every penny! Did mine modern with a few retro touches, tyres, XTR chainset, Charge brown spoon etc otherwise full XTR, Ritchey WCS stem, thomp's post and Mavics. You'll be amazed how well it climbs and how quick the front end pops up. Keep us posted with pics.

Wicked build man! What kinda of weight does yours come out at?

Can't wait to ride mine. Used to have an RC200 F2 but I got bored of only being able to ride 1" forks and not being able to find any decent 1" boing on eBay so I sold it on. I've heard F8's are a much nicer ride anyway and I'm so glad I can swap the forks out when/if I want as I know Pace's can be a bit hit and miss sometimes.

Think i'll go for old XTR this time too as i preferred the old matte gunmetal stuff (m960?). Had SRAM XO on my last ride (Scott Scale LTD) which was great, but a real bugger to get the shifters back together if you took em apart..

Its not as light as i thought it would build up to. Prob about 26? My Stumpjumper was lighter. Feels really planted though. Would be lighter if i went for modern tyres and Spd's. Know what you mean about Pace forks. I've had a few sets of them. As good as they are i couldn't get them how i wanted. The Fox forks are some of the best i've used. XTR all the way mate (M950 i think?) only not sure of the disc's on mine! Still may swop for some Hope? Not sure, its all abbout the feel. Have a peek at my build thread for more details of my build. Good luck and get some more pics!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58959

Very nice and good value at £500 by the looks :cool:

Sounds like you are kitting out with the right kit with the middleburns etc.

Looking forward to the updates

Thanks for the encouragement and comments guys!

I de-stickered it last night and it looks even better now. Can't wait to get it built and have a proper ride. Think I'm gonna go with Red/Silver/Black stuff on this. Goldtec ti-nitride would look awesome but its just too expensive/hard to find these days IMO...

Got some silver 2008 Magura Marta's on the way (mint cond, £72.10 for the whole set minus rotors!) , along with a pair of Black Hope Pro2's on Black Mavic 317s (mint, £87 the set!).

Got my beady eyes on some Silver/Red Middleburn RS8's which are going soon. I'm gonna evetually replace the Ritchey WCS stem with a Tune/Thompson one

Can anyone recommend some cheap/lightweight tyres?

I know cheap and light don't usually go together but I'm looking at some IRC Notos for £20 (pair) which come in at 562g each, but that's not massively light..

Awkward Kid":1ot31zgh said:
You'll be amazed how well it climbs and how quick the front end pops up

I'm not surprised with forks like that, yours must be a wheelie machine dude :)

Latest posts

Back