Disc brake choice for build advice

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm part way through a thoroughly modern build, trying to use as many new standards as possible,.

The frame is a planet x jack flash 29er, bought on a whim in a kary zesty lime colour, a break from my norm of dark plain colours or plain ti.

Forks are DVO diamond in green.

Gearing will be xt 11x1. I just don't see the need for 12 for my needs.

Cranks, ethirteen carbon.

Wheels wtb i30 with formula hubs, tanwall tubeless tyres.

Everything is boost standard.

I don't want to spend any more on the build unless it's worth it, so asking advice on whether there would be any benefit in spending on new brakes over using something from my collection.

I have a couple of pairs of hope tech brakes. One set is v4, V2, the other x2. Silver and black.

I also have some tech race on a build in all black I could swap out.

FSA afterburners in black.

Magura mt6 but on a build but could pillage.

Avid elixir cr.

While the goal is to go as new as possible, the brakes I have in the stash are all pretty decent, and while I'm no expert, brakes haven't really changed much in recent years as far as I can tell.

So, question/opinion time.

Shall I use any of the above, or should I sell some to fund something new/we for the build?

What do the wise RB folk who know their modern onions think? If you think a different brake would be better on the build, what would you go for? Xt would match the gearing I guess, I've only ever used hope or magura so not got much experience other they those brands.

Probably not relevent as a few years old now, but in terms of shimano, I run some SLX brakes from a few years back, and don't rate them at all. Stopping power is average, and had issues with weepy pistons leading to contaminated pads etc. I'm guessing XT is better though and the more modern ones have likely improved. Personally I'd run a set of those Hopes you have!

Run the Hopes you have. Brakes have changed very little, no point spending money you don’t need to.

Keep the hope, I used to have Hope X2 from around 2010 and now have 2017 SLX 2 pot and 2021 SLX 4 pot. Hope had the best feel of all and we’re more powerful than the 2 pot. The 4 pot SLX are great but only necessary over the X2 for big steep Welsh trails.

Hope are my favourite and you seem to have a decent amount to choose from so that's the obvious choice. Saying that, they hold their value so nothing stopping you cashing in a few pairs and going new? The latest Hope are meant to be a fair step on from the previous.

Another option is to look for a Shimano bargain. I picked up a pair of Deore 4 pots for less than £100 recently from CRC so plans for fancier brakes were put on hold.

I do like hope kit, brakes are decent for sure. I have used Shimano on builds, notably on my son's bike, but while they do feel ok and stop, I've had the leaky piston issue on a couple of callipers.

I'll probably use the v4/2 tech brakes, as I have pretty burly forks which can carry off the larger rotors, though my riding is pretty pedestrian so I've always thought overkill, with 4 pot front calliper. If they were all black it would be an easier decision as would tie in with the build colour better.

My tech race have been fit and forget, though I'd probably need longer hoses as on a 26er.

A quick update. As I think black brakes and callipers would look better, I've sourced some via eBay. A little bonus is they have team green bore caps and adjuster's so will match the fork dials and qr make thing.

I guess I'll be selling a set in silver now....

Last edited:
Back