Ti frames, which to keep and which to move on?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have more builds than space so need to make some decisions, tough ones as I'm indecisive at the best of times. I have the following and while I'd love to keep and eventually build them all, it's just not viable anymore with my garage going as part of a long in planning, finally approved project.

Diamond back Axis TT.
Fully built, xtr m970 drivetrain and gearing, Paul's purple v brakes, spinergy cyclone wheels, Thompson finishing kit, Chris king, pace Rc31 ti etc

Raleigh dynatech team titanium
Fully built, xtr m952 gearing and brakes, blue Middleburn rs7s, blue hole ti hubbed Mavic wheels, Thompson post, blue hope stem, blue controltech bars and other blue hope finishing kit. Use carbon pro saddle

Litespeed over FS
Not built, but have all the bits. Thompson stem and post in silver, roox bars, silver hope disc hubs on Mavic xx717, probably SRAM x0 gearing, hope disc brakes and Middleburn cranks. Silver hope headset, flite saddle mint amp f3xc forks. I've tons of frame and fork Soares to keep it going.

GT lightning
Not built but have all the bits. As good as NOS xtr m952 groupset, Mavic crossmax ceramics (newer ones), pace rc39 forks, absolutely mint and freshly serviced, Thompson post, titec ti stem and bars, Chris king headset, grey flite, grey Michelin tyres and grey onza ukes, plus onza ti bar ends

The simplest decision would be to sell the unbuilt bikes, but that is too easy right. I'm thinking more about what frames and parts would be best, I'm not averse to mixing up the builds tbh. Which would you keep or sell.and why?

I do have a couple of modern ti frames in the stash too, cove hummer and rock lobster team ti which aren't built, plus an on one ti 29er which is fully built running 1x10 xtr which I like a lot so will stay, though may move it up to 1x11.

Why did you buy them? if to ride - which one rides best? If to admire, which one sparks most joy?

Personally, the unbuilt projects would be the first to go - unless the build is where you get the most joy from the owning experience (and if so, get rid of the one or more of the builds you've completed).

Why did I buy them? At the time they were available and I wanted them for various reasons.

I'm a retro GT fan hence acquiring the lightning which I think I want to keep if I'm honest.

The litespeed is just cool and fairly rare and with the forks, looks different.

The DBR is just a very nice retro ti frame, I have some sentimental attachment to it. Rides nicely too

The raleigh looks the business and is pretty comfy.

I forgot about an airborne I have, though this is too small for me and was bought for my wife or kids but not sure it will see any use.

The unbuilt ones I've not ridden, hopefully someone can share what they are like to ride and own.

I’ve just sold my Lightning and I do regret it a little to be honest but couldn’t justify keeping it along with the Xizang and many more projects and a 7 week old newborn. I’m trying hard to not have double up’s bikes currently which is hard when I’ve got a GT obsession

You’ll never be able to replace it if it goes and if you do let it go let me know as I know someone who will buy it as he wanted mine.

I think the Sparks Joy comment is a very valid one. It’s the ultimate decider for me in many life choices. With bikes, I can lust after an epic frame or part I always wanted to own, but when in possession it happened a few times it just didn’t click with me. I want it to make me happy when I ride it and when I look at it.

Airborne is a no brainier, has to go as can the two moderns. Sorry, but nothing special about either of them other than the material. Can be relatively easily bought again if you acquire more space in the future. The others won’t be an once they are gone, that will likely be it, so think carefully.

Do you want to build and ogle or ride them? NOS parts make no difference to how they ride and you are doubling up on lots of Middleburn, Hope and Thomson parts.
If you like to ride them, keep the least nice drivetrain parts and cash in on the NOS. Keep the nicest rim and disc wheels and brakes then sell the rest. One set of bars and stem and a sestpost that fits each frame. Keep all the retro Ti frames and fit a headset to each. Use these parts to build up a rider that can be swapped about as you want. Unbuilt frames don’t take up too much room, it’s stuff like wheels and just in case parts that are the worst offenders. Make sure you keep an eye on odd size or proprietary parts that you’ll need.

Other option is to actually build them one at a time, ride for a while then sell it on. That’s what I’d do. I only buy a new build if it’s something I want to ride. For me it’s about trying different rides and moving on to the next.

If you’re one of the weirdos that just build to look at them, then sorry but no one can help you now. 😉

Going on your comments above the Airborne is a no brainer and your comments about the Raleigh have less warmth than the others, if that makes sense?

I'm fond of a titanium frame/bike as the next guy - but I reckon 7 might be approaching hoarder/obsessive collector tendencies. Especially we haven't had the "which steel/aluminium/carbon/magnesium frames to keep/move on" threads yet 😂 I did once have 4 titanium frames/bikes though - but not for long (and now down to 2, one of which I should get rid of as it's never going to get built/ridden) - and I definitely had an stand out fave out of all of those.

Otherwise, @clubby might be onto something. You clearly like a particular flavour of components - and moving them around from frame to frame might be a solution.

I'm fond of a titanium frame/bike as the next guy - but I reckon 7 might be approaching hoarder/obsessive collector tendencies. Especially we haven't had the "which steel/aluminium/carbon/magnesium frames to keep/move on" threads yet 😂 I did once have 4 titanium frames/bikes though - but not for long (and now down to 2, one of which I should get rid of as it's never going to get built/ridden) - and I definitely had an stand out fave out of all of those.

Otherwise, @clubby might be onto something. You clearly like a particular flavour of components - and moving them around from frame to frame might be a solution.
Oh, I've got 4 ti bikes, does that mean I have a problem?

Back