Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 revamp

synchronicity

Senior Retro Guru
I previously posted in the "please enter the Mountain Cycle room......" thread (on page 11).
Anyway I have decided to make a dedicated thread for this bike as I have most of the parts now [finally].

Here's my Mountain Cycle shockwave 9.5 as it was built up initially in 2009.

Initially I was just trying to build up something relatively cheaply (for like < €2k at the time) to ride in Tenerife while I was living there.
Couldn't really afford or justify spending any more than that as DH was something totally new to me.

Frame
I initially got the frame new on ebay for like €640. Which I thought was pretty cheap, considering that it was brand new.
It's a size large. Glad it is a large and not medium as the reach is pretty short.

Fork
I ended up ditching the shitty SASO forks almost straight away as I realised on day 1 of riding that the rebound was not fast enough and they were a wee bit too soft and linear also. (with the combined result that they packed down waaay too easily, especially on steep sections)

Coming from the 90's, I think it's hard for me to justify spending big mega bucks on shocks and forks I suppose...
Whereas kids today will easily plonk down 2k on a fork and 1k on a shock without so much as batting an eyelid.
I dunno. Do some of you from that era feel that the price of suspension today (I mean forks & shocks) has gone CRAZY?
So I was trying to save a few bob with this SASO fork and unfortunately it didn't work out.
Since then I suppose I have realised that cheap off-brand suspension is probably never really worth it in the end.🤔

Brakes
So about two years or so ago, it all started with the brakes (which were avid code as you see pictured here... or maybe not).
Initially, 10 years ago, I loved them. They were awesome 4 pot calipers.

But after a long passage of time, when I went to the shed to check on my trusty steed again, the dot fluid had absorbed water/humidity, the brake pads were jammed & the levers had corroded a bit. And I hate corrosion. 😟
So I did the sensible thing and I swapped them with magura.
I have a set of Shimano saints on my other mtb (not DH) and I wanted to try something different.
I had tried Hayes before but not magura. So magura it was.

Saddle
Then I changed the saddle (which was a spare one that I had lying around, some sort of fi'zi:k and even though it had ti rails, never liked it as it came on a prebuilt bike without getting my input, so that had to go).
Was able to sell it and then with the same money directly buy a more suitable (but brand new) saddle.🙂

Everything else
Then about a year ago, something took a hold of me, I don't know what, but throughout 2022 I've slowly been swapping out the remaining components that somehow bothered/niggled me for this build. Which ended up being practically everything!😂🤪 This was a slow and expensive process.

Looking back at the bike pictured down below, the only things left from this build now are the frame, the headset (VP), the cranks (truvativ hussefelt) and the discs (formula 220mm). Well, I still have the original wheels as pictured, but they are HEAVY (built them up with straight gauge spokes and those rims weigh a tonne).

The last few remaining bits
I'm just waiting on one or two more parts so it still won't be completely finished for another month or so.
1) One part is this rear shock spring retainer. A friend is bringing that over from Switzerland in a couple of weeks' time.
2) Next, I gotta get some Stan's tubeless sealant as I am going to try going tubeless. Totally outta stock here online in OZ.
3) I have an upper crown that either needs to be painted or anodised gloss black (I'm leaning more towards anodising it).
That's it.

I look forward to posting more and bigger pics starting tomorrow.

Anyway, here is how it looked back in 2009:

Attachments

• mountain-cycle-shockwave-9-5.jpg
    mountain-cycle-shockwave-9-5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I decided to build another wheelset for this bike.
I built the original one myself, but it's really overkill (read:heavy).

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_191036.jpg
    IMG_20230218_191036.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 7
I ended up getting a 2010 model fork but it had an older style two-bolt Marzocchi crown.
Those older marzocchi direct mount stems are ridiculously expensive.😲
So after digging around online for a while I realised I could simply buy a new crown instead. It fits!
But the problem was that the only new direct mount crown I could find was white.
I bought it anyway. Here it is stripped and sanded back. There are still a couple of areas to sand.
I'm thinking of taking this to the anodisers to get glossy anodised as I'm probably no good with spray paint.
The old crown is for sale here (pictured last, for comparison).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 12-55-39 IMG-20190211-150208_1080x.jpg (WEBP Image 1080 × 1080 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 12-55-39 IMG-20190211-150208_1080x.jpg (WEBP Image 1080 × 1080 pixels).png
    424.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 12-55-43 IMG-20190211-150234_1080x.jpg (WEBP Image 1080 × 1080 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 12-55-43 IMG-20190211-150234_1080x.jpg (WEBP Image 1080 × 1080 pixels).png
    260.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230310_121129.jpg
    IMG_20230310_121129.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0515.JPG
    DSC_0515.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The old shock, cassette and RD as shown.

The shock came with the bike and had a 400lb spring.
I didn't really know it at the time, but this was pretty much the ideal spring rate for my weight back then.
Now I have unfortunately put on a few kg, need a slightly heavier spring. I tried the recommended 500lb and even 600lb ones but I felt they were much too stiff for my style of riding. So I am going to 450lb. I also have a 400lb ready as I'm hoping to lose some weight.

The old cassette was a 12-23T 9 speed miche unit for road bikes.
It was just something I had lying around at the time I believe.

The derailleur was a trusty Shimano 105 RD-5500. This is now going onto my GT retro mod bike.

The old chain guide is for sale here.

The old handlebar was here. Sold for $60.
Old axle here. Sold for $23.

Attachments

• DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230308_135738.jpg
    IMG_20230308_135738.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0212.JPG
    DSC_0212.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0195.JPG
    DSC_0195.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 3
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
In the mean time, I got a new Monarch RT shock for one of my other bikes and I was super impressed with how it performs.
I experimented with a shorter shock (Marzocchi bomber CR 8.75x2.75") but I thought it lowered the rear end too much.
So that may be up for sale soon, depends.

By this time I had already decided to sell the old Fox shock.
So in the end I decided to get a new shock. Except I hate paying the retail price for suspension.

I sold the shock (without the spring) to someone in Peru, Cuzco for AU$200 + shipping.
Another seller accepted my offer of US$140 for a NIB rockshox vivid R2C but missing the spring retainer.
I used planet express to forward that to Australia.

Managed to source a new spring retainer from Switzerland, this place for only CHF13.55 (that's £12).
[CHF19.50 with shipping, cbf'd converting that]. This is literally the last place in the world you can get these, I swear.

They used to sell these separately (in 2017). Not anymore!
So now if you look up the 2022 spare parts catalogue, you won't find this spring collar listed separately anymore.
Rockshox now sells the entire sub-assembly, as pictured, complete with piston shaft, eyelet etc, and obviously it costs a lot more.

Part number 11.4115.149.000.
It's from a Kage shock. It looks the same. Good lord I hope it fits or I'll look stupid!

Total price of new shock, shipped = AU$323. Retail price here if and when it's available? AU$849! It can be had online for around AU$700. But still.
This is a slightly older model however.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 14-18-51 2017-rockshox-spare-parts-catalog.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 14-18-51 2017-rockshox-spare-parts-catalog.pdf.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 14-13-30 2022-rockshox-spare-parts-catalog.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 14-13-30 2022-rockshox-spare-parts-catalog.pdf.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 31024_2_3013.JPG
    31024_2_3013.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 31024_3_3013.JPG
    31024_3_3013.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
I have chosen this saddle because it is quite wide and padded, looks good, cheap, Selle Italia net:

Attachments

• IMG_20230312_155728.jpg
    IMG_20230312_155728.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 8
Now on to the fork. This is a not so old Marzocchi 888 RCV klunker that I bought new while I was in Tenerife around the year 2010.
It was basically the best fork that I could afford at the time, with adjustable rebound and compression damping (although it seems the compression knob doesn't do that much).

Anyway. I am/was still not keen on forking out for a new fork, because the price of downhill forks has gone up considerably since then. I'm just not going to pay 2 grand for a new fork considering how much (or how little) use it's going to get (and considering my skill level). Also, they're not even available for 26" wheel size anymore I don't think. Besides, these particular forks haven't seen much use. So it's these or nothing.

Even so, after getting a new RockShox Monarch RL rear shock on another bike, and then a Reba SL fork to go with that, I realised that these downhill forks were not as plush as maybe they could be. Because it doesn't make sense that a 120mm fork is plusher than a 200mm fork.

Deciding I'd deal with the spring rate later, I opened them up and moved from a stock 7.5wt oil (in both legs) to a lighter weight 5wt oil in the rebound leg and 10wt oil in the compression leg. Changed the seals, put fluorinated PFPAE grease in there. Still, pressing down on them (in the living room🤪) something did not quite feel right. I think the spring rate was too firm for my riding style.

It seems Marzocchi 888 springs are kind of not that easy to get a hold of.😬
And they are notoriously expensive for what they are if/when you can get them.

I did a bunch of googling online (which is not always a good thing, because you can make a lot of mistakes that way).
And it turns out that the Fox 40 spring is basically the exact same length and outer diameter as the Marzocchi 888 spring.
And there's a guide online somewhere where some dude uses a wine cork to bodge it so that it fits properly.

I got this great deal on a NOS Fox 40 spring from this guy on pinkbike for $150 CAD.
So the titanium spring is going to save me 142 grams over the standard Marzocchi medium red-coloured spring, pictured (not a bad weight saving I think). In case you're wondering, I got it mainly because I couldn't source the steel spring. Because there is always a massive chance this is going to be too soft, I actually preferred to try to get the steel spring first, in case it's not right. Still, better than the $490 asking price elsewhere.

I don't know how true this is, read somewhere else that the wine cork hack is not even necessary with the Fox 40 Ti spring as it has a different inner diameter! It just plops right in! What are the chances of that?!😱

Now I don't know what people are jumping off to warrant extra firm springs, buildings probably, because this feels just about perfect.

As of tonight, I am really started to get excited again about this build because it feels PLUSH.
I may or may not get an inbetween rate spring — there's a chance they might be a little too plush.
I can still add air to the left fork leg also if needed. I dunno. I just have to ride it and see I guess.

IMG_20230313_213954.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230313_214358.jpg
    IMG_20230313_214358.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back