1997 Amp Research B4 Mercedes Benz

trail_head":1ect47cs said:
I'd like to run the Amp D1's or Formula R1's. My biggest problem is I don't have the adapters to run ISO calipers on this frame and fork. It's not like I can buy them anywhere :( .

These wheels are so pimp it's got me thinking RetroMod!

I know what you mean, I ended up making loads, the next batch are going to be post mount. bike looks great by the way. :cool:

Attachments

• 1283418548928.jpg
    1283418548928.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 739
Dibs on a set of post mount disk adapters for me please.

I'm not sure I could talk myself into putting R1's on it but, I already have them so I'd certainly want to :D

Cheers

Hi;
I've had my eye on one of these bikes for years and finally purchased one from eBay. It was in good condition, but no means in excellent. Love your restoration. My plan is to clean mine up and use it! However, I have quite a few questions but will just post a couple for now:

1. How do you fold the bike?

2. What is this special tool that I've read about? What is it for and can anyone post a picture of it?

Thanks for now,
Brad.

I had a B3 back in the day, it ended up a little trashed but was a great bike, nice and light and I rode it everywhere. I sold it to upgrade to a ti bike. I recently bought a B4 and F3XC fork and I am hoping to build it up early next year but currently all my funds are going on my yankee funk. Will watch this one, looks like an interesting build.

DRBYEE":5cwpiojp said:
Hi;
I've had my eye on one of these bikes for years and finally purchased one from eBay. It was in good condition, but no means in excellent. Love your restoration. My plan is to clean mine up and use it! However, I have quite a few questions but will just post a couple for now:

1. How do you fold the bike?

2. What is this special tool that I've read about? What is it for and can anyone post a picture of it?

Thanks for now,
Brad.

The bike folds by removing the front derailleur, removing the seat stays from the shock, then folding the seat stays over and forward of the seat mast.

The only special tools I'm aware of are for reassembling the shock absorbers. They're just pointed pins to allow assembly without damaging the seals. I have them, let me know if you need pictures.

Cheers,
TC

minor_LEGEND":1hzqdad2 said:
Oh that rear mech!

Haha! Only took 1 year for someone to notice that mech! It may be the most pimped out RD-M953 on earth and nobody even noticed :roll:
Good eye man!

Thanks for all of the info regarding folding the bike and the "special" tool.

Next question. How do I dampen the back spring/shock absorber? I don't like it so bouncy!

Thanks again. I'm a newbie to cycling and trying to learn more about bikes and especially this bike.

*assuming* you have the original spring shock, that is likely the cause of the bobbing. I would start by rebuilding it. If you don't know it's history, it could have a blown o-ring or two (the stock shock is notorious for that).

Alternatively, you could contact Risse Racing and order an upgrade air shock. They make two for the B4; Genisis and Astro-5 (there's an Astro-5 on my bike). They're both significantly better then the stock shock. Horst would disagree with that last sentence; the stock shock has a pedaling platform build into it, the Risse's do not. So in theory the stock shock is best but, if you ask anyone who owns one of these bikes they'll likely tell you the constant maintenance required to keep the stock rear shock working just isn't worth it. You really don't need a platform on a 3" bike.

Typically it's rear shocks that make bike feel bouncy but, you should probably rebuild the front shock as well if you don't know it's service history.

Good luck

Thanks for all of the information. If you wouldn't mind, I still can't figure out how to fold the bike. Would you please post detailed instructions? Thanks, Brad.

Back