Quasimodo the Rattrack - The little full suspension that couldn't (Scott Unitrack 1993 DH)

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
A good while back I was given a Scott Unitrack DH frameset by a fellow RB'er. I sort of just stashed it away and didn't think much about it. I didn't feel right about that, as karma is karma and you gotta get some use out of it. So a week or so ago I decided to finally crack on with it.

It came with the Unitrack fork but learning about them being recalled in large quantities due to failure (cracking, coming apart) I decided I didn't want to chance it. Especially after realising there'd be no legal grounds to sue should I remodel my face on a tame section of fireroad at 1 mph.

After a solid bit of hammering, this rough turning rear triangle was separated and I lubed it like I was 11 years old again, with nowt but hand soap available.

20240407_144523.jpg

I then started putting shit on it, taking it back off, like an artist plotting his new masterpiece.

It quickly became apparent to me that the only option was to use a rigid fork as 1) I'm skint and 2) I don't own any suspension fork. And that's how we get introduced to the wonders of the "little full suspension that couldn't".

If Muhammed intended for us to have front suspension he wouldn't have designed us with jointy squishy arms. The same cannot be said for your rear end which, bar the fat you've gained over the winter season, is more rigid than my grandpa on the day he snuffed it after a blue pilled overdose.

20240410_181826.jpg
20240410_190916.jpg

I then quickly decided that it was too much effort to operate a rear derailleur and in all honesty, I think a setup which awards you none of the benefits of a singlespeed drivetrain with all of the shortcomings of an external gear drivetrain was a fitting choice. I found a new in box new old stock, pristine, mint, lx derailleur and fitted it with a special in house frayed pauls components shift cable

20240411_160242.jpg 20240411_160247.jpg

This combined with a limited edition mixed and matched sugino triple provides a range which even a Rohloff owner would be jealous of, at least until I put the knife down.

I then had a long chat with the CCP using TikTok, after a coordinated dance routine with me lip syncing my allegiance to the brutal regime, they agreed to sponsor this endeavour and said they had just the thing.

The tankie tensioner

20240411_160252.jpg

Another bit of scrounging the barrel for parts and the thing was coming together nicely.

A bullmoose bar, kalloy seatpost, set of sd7s and a shifter so plasticky even Simon Cowell is feeling jealous later and here we are

There we are, a bike defined by its noticeable lack of attention to detail.

20240411_155521.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Doug Wimbish live with an African formation, I forget the name. The music was very earthy and ethnical and he was just freaking out improvising on his heavily distorted and effect laden bass from the start to the end of the concert, they occasionally put up the volume on his bass and then tuned him out again. It might have been a natural high he was on, it might not have been.

I keep looking at it and thinking as to how on earth it even works. It looks broken standing still.

Great writeup and kudos for getting it going.

Plus I'm a sucker for the hugely underrated and often forgotten Sugino crank (an Impel for Imlach?)

Slap a bright orange flexstem on there and you're in magic-carpet floaty heaven.

I keep looking at it and thinking as to how on earth it even works. It looks broken standing still.

Great writeup and kudos for getting it going.

Plus I'm a sucker for the hugely underrated and often forgotten Sugino crank (an Impel for Imlach?)

Slap a bright orange flexstem on there and you're in magic-carpet floaty heaven.
The jury is still out as to whether it is the bike or the rider that's broken. Or both. My money is on both.

I wanted it done as cheaply as possible and the total sum was 0.00€ but sometimes you pay with dignity and sanity.

It is remarkably plush, even at my size. I will take it to the woods in half an hour or so to see if it actually feels good or not. A flexstem was on the cards but as I don't own one and have zero intention to spend any money on it that probably won't happen.

I do feel like Aladdin but I'm prohibited from wearing the outfit. So much for "public parks".

Back