How can I stop?

Last week I bought a GT frame as it was local and no-one else was bidding on it on ebay.
I already have the exact same frame (same size/colour) in my shed which I don't have a use for.

I am becoming the 'crazy-cat-lady' of GTs.

I only have 5 (fortunate?). They have not become houseguests, yet. I've been told to just give it time...

I bought a 98 Moab for its parts and had its frame hanging in the garage (we Retroholics tend to be pack rats). A ride buddy recently cracked his head tube on his Mongoose Rockadile. An evening diagnostic disassembly turned into a salvage and a new build on that frame.

It's a nice feeling when decent, although dated, bits see new life and use!

Imo. Focus is the remedy.. I have a careful gameplan that is working (so far) :

1 build is an early mtb, building to catalogue spec
1 is a proper mtb to scare myself in the woods
1 is a hack
1 is a retro ride for the road

All these are satisfying the varied retro appetite that I have.

Down the road, when I have them basically sorted & being ridden, I do wonder what will I want next - and how I will justify it!.. There is a certain comfort in knowing that I have projects in hand to keep me busy. Finishing a bike is satisfying but takes me a step closer to the abyss :facepalm:

Is I a bit nutty?

The answer is easy.... run out of money.

No more money = no more bikes :mrgreen:

Every time I say 'no more', I have another idea :facepalm:

I came very close to abandoning my RSP full susser, splitting it and adding it to the pile of stuff I need to sell...

...but ultimately I just couldn't bring myself to go through with it; so I've finished it instead! :facepalm:

Well, it will be finished once I get the right size blanking plugs for the fork brakes boss mounts.

Absolutely not buying anything else; even my first cro-mega that started the rot by leading me here is going, before I get carried away with the black & silver build I had in mind for it.

That also means I will have some top notch kit to offload as well, once I get around to photographing it all :roll:

I am finding that the more I think about getting rid of the surplus the more it seems like a good idea, and hopefully the culling will take over from the acquisition as my new obsession!

Rob Atkin":3ow9h54g said:
Which one did you get?

97/8 Timberline in blue/black flame. Frame/forks/BB/seatpost for a tenner !
Already got same a which needs some paintwork.

Timberline98_zps941878b0.jpg

Now have 4 GT bikes, 5 GT frames, and 3 other bikes.
Must go now just watching some on ebay....

saulus":15rg6mx5 said:
Imo. Focus is the remedy.. I have a careful gameplan that is working (so far) :

1 build is an early mtb, building to catalogue spec
1 is a proper mtb to scare myself in the woods
1 is a hack
1 is a retro ride for the road

I have a similar rule.
1 commuter.
Then 1 of each Ti, alu & steel combined with 1 ea of rigid, front susser, and full susser.

Therefore I only have an alu full susser left to get.

Oh hang on what about fixies, ss and road bikes .... Uh oh!

Back