Calibre.

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok so having bought a kindle touch:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215832

I am using calibre to load books and such onto it. I looked on the faq but cant seem to find what im looking for.
I need to know where the books that are in calibre are stored. I dropped in a massive folder and im wondering wether they are now stored twice? As in once in the original folder and again for use by calibre?

The other trouble im having is i am a little confused by the connect to device/email option. I want to be able to send books directly to the kindle through calibre if possible.

Any one know and want to hold my hand?

Thanks.

cyfa2809":30a7bhct said:
Ok so having bought a kindle touch:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215832

I am using calibre to load books and such onto it. I looked on the faq but cant seem to find what im looking for.
I need to know where the books that are in calibre are stored. I dropped in a massive folder and im wondering wether they are now stored twice? As in once in the original folder and again for use by calibre?
Calibre will want a folder for it's library - not sure what the default is - probably somewhere under your user profile / my documents structure, by default (I have mine pointing to a specific folder on one of my PC's hard drives.

It tends to use metadata values to create folder structures in there, and does store a copy of the files in there, once you import them.
cyfa2809":30a7bhct said:
The other trouble im having is i am a little confused by the connect to device/email option. I want to be able to send books directly to the kindle through calibre if possible.
That's just send to device, doesn't use email, and is used for side-loading books to your Kindle.

Sending books by email, is just for when you want to use Amazon's free (? is it still free?) conversion and distribution to your Kindle.

One gotcha I've found with Calibre, and files already in mobi format. For a while, now, Kindle has supported last position read / bookmarks, across devices in your account, for books (of compliant format) that you've loaded yourself.

So, for example, I have Kindle running on my Android tablet, and a Kindle device (Kindle 3 / keyboard). Books I've side-loaded myself (using Calibre), will appear on both devices, well these days, Kindle has the ability to sync and maintain bookmarks across Kindle devices in your account, even for books not in your Amazon account, given a few caveats, and internet connectivity whilst you're using your Kindle devices.

What I have found, though, is that for say, um, downloaded mobi books, they may not necessarily have the fields Kindle requires for this - so you may have to convert them again, in Calibre (ie from mobi, to mobi) in order for cross-device bookmarks / last position read, to work.

hi neil, i have no idea what you are writing about as i am but a simple man but could you just answer if i can read ebooks that have been *ahem* sourced from places other than the kobo store? you seem to have a lot more knowledge on this than google.
thanks in advance :D

Chute55uk":2lykrqmc said:
hi neil, i have no idea what you are writing about as i am but a simple man but could you just answer if i can read ebooks that have been *ahem* sourced from places other than the kobo store? you seem to have a lot more knowledge on this than google.
thanks in advance :D
Yes - well I say that, I have reasonable experience with Calibre, but the only ebook devices / software I've experience of using is Kindle.

But yes, for at least that scenario, you can side-load books sourced from wherever - assuming they don't currently have DRM on them (ebooks downloaded from, ahem, most sources, probably wouldn't be being downloaded if they had DRM on them).

Back