Has everyone got one of these except me?...

nah, a kona is a subaru impreza - a working class hero that's more than capable of giving the odd ferarri a bloody nose

Dont own them
Don't like them
They ride funny
They are common
Base models are given 'cult' status without any justification - why?
BUT I do think the old 90/91 splatter ones looked pretty cool :D

All IMO of course ;)

gump":11cz23ka said:

Because, unlike some other bigger manufacturers, their base models were excellent mountain bikes too (they didn't reach quite so far down the price ladder as some, which helped.) The frames were better than the components hung on them (i.e. well worth upgrading when the first drivetrain etc wore out) and they were great value for money.

Justification enough for me ;-)

Cheers,

AJ

Wu-Tangled":2205dmdi said:
...a 90's Kona.

It seems everywhere i look I keep seeing lovely simple steel 90's Kona's.

Am I the only one not in the gang?

:?

I'm selling 1 you can buy ;)

Wu-Tangled":16rogk0k said:
...a 90's Kona.

It seems everywhere i look I keep seeing lovely simple steel 90's Kona's.

Am I the only one not in the gang?

:?

Good god no. Kona's suck. All of them.

Always liked the old steel ones... Lava Domes and Cinder Cones.....never ridden one although there used to be an LBS in Bedford that sold them (I preferred the other shop round the corner that sold Proflex and Orange :) )

Got nowt against them though...

ajm":1sqjf56m said:
gump":1sqjf56m said:

Because, unlike some other bigger manufacturers, their base models were excellent mountain bikes too (they didn't reach quite so far down the price ladder as some, which helped.) The frames were better than the components hung on them (i.e. well worth upgrading when the first drivetrain etc wore out) and they were great value for money.

Justification enough for me ;-)

Cheers,

AJ

Exactly.

The reality is that the Lava Dome was the ultimate upgradeable frame - they didn't cost much, their owners always loved them and there must be a reason why. Somehow it's always been cool to upgrade a Lava Dome in a way that say a Rockhopper or a Muirwoods just wasn't considered worthy of.

It may not be logical, but why do men love beautiful women? Maybe there's not much logic in that either, but we do.

Anthony":2fiert28 said:
The reality is that the Lava Dome was the ultimate upgradeable frame - they didn't cost much, their owners always loved them and there must be a reason why. Somehow it's always been cool to upgrade a Lava Dome in a way that say a Rockhopper or a Muirwoods just wasn't considered worthy of.

It may not be logical, but why do men love beautiful women? Maybe there's not much logic in that either, but we do.

Well said!

Always loved Konas, lusted after a Hot :cool: for years. Only recently bought a non-retro Cinder Cone to use as a winter / hack bike ... fantastic ride

Back