CEN test??????

oldscool

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys,

Im thinking of building myself a new xc bike an apologies everyone but im going to go with a modern frame. The frame im quite interested in and is still available to buy has apparently failed the CEN test.
What does this mean in laymens terms? Is the frame unsafe and should I avoid it like the plague??

On the CEN front I notced that the On One Inbred has failed the test whilst the 456 has passed.

It looks as if On One will sell off their current stock of Inbreds and redesign to meet the test criteria. So if you want one get them whilst they are available.

Thats the frame I was thinking of getting, what concerns me is that I dont know why it failed the test and am concerned about its safety

oldscool":xqt0eog6 said:
Thats the frame I was thinking of getting, what concerns me is that I dont know why it failed the test and am concerned about its safety

Test reports should be online if you search for them. Could be a silly technicality or something more serious, although if it was the latter I would imagine there would be a safety recall.... so i imagine they are just failing a newer type test.

Easy_Rider":15awyths said:
oldscool":15awyths said:

Test reports should be online if you search for them. Could be a silly technicality or something more serious, although if it was the latter I would imagine there would be a safety recall.... so i imagine they are just failing a newer type test.

Yes, a newer (and not representative of real use) test.

Get one while you can - have you ever heard of catastrophic failures of an Inbred frame?

Who kows but I doubt they fail any worse than any other frames, people have been riding these for ages. You dont seem to get loads of reports of them critically failling as this would be all over the bike forums like a rash.

My advice would be if you really want one get one and spec it sensibly.

From a little googeling it seems hardtail steel frames are failing on stiffness. It's something any aluminium frame can pass easily, but a lightweight steel frame is supposed to flex, but i don't think the test accounts for this, so the newer steel frames seem to be beefed up to pass, or use a short rigid fork to get around the twist test.

i'm guessing that's the issue.... what a shame for the steel frame though, aluminium frames are just dead....and they fatigue!!

lol, lots of worrying about modern frames breaking if we crash them into a train at an unlikely angle while we spend fortunes on ancient used bikes that just work! Like most of this stuff, concept of standards is sound, application and relevance is pretty pants. As post above says, if there were issues they would recall them.

Reminds me of all the house stuff - old houses would not pass modern electrical safety checks, but that does not make them unsafe, just less safe...

Back