1982 Holdsworth Special, at least it started that way...

Well. The good news is that I've got a frame that has been powdercoated fairly well. The bad news is that somehow they managed to properly dent and bend the top tube 🤬. Obviously they didn't charge me, and luckily the frame didn't cost much at all BUT I would like to keep it if possible. The local frame builder reckons it'll cost up to £100-150 to straighten, at which point I have a frame that needs another repaint, which doesn't exactly sound ideal.

This photo shows where the dent is - it's not easy to show the extent of the bend, but it's most obvious on the right where it bends inwards. Both ends of the tube are not actually that far off each other in alignment, so I'm wondering if this is ridable as it is? Is that a stupid idea? Structurally I think it's fine, but will it handle weirdly? I'll post this question in another thread, probably to get as many opinions as possible.

Anyway, I'm off to go a swear in a darkened room...

IMG_7361.JPG

replied on your other thread but guess you've already asked a frame builder so ignore that. :)

out of interest what level of repair were they talking about for that price?
a jig and a bit of setting would see it straight but with a dent in the tube, it would at least be ridable.

Can we know who they are so they can't do it to anyone else?

Because it's not a place that is really known for doing bikes, but more for industrial stuff, I doubt anyone on here would be (foolish enough?) likely to use them. I was apprehensive about the quality of the paint job, but actually that's turned out totally fine, but the frame has presumably been treated the same as a metal gate or railings, i.e without much care. It might have been them, or it might have been the blasters they use. I do wonder if it happened at the blasters and they just coated it with the dent in it - sort of looks like it, from how the dent appears. Anyway, they are called Express Coatings (ironically considering there wasn't anything express about the process, either).

Anyone know a decent powder-coaters near Sheffield, seeing as I'm probably starting from scratch again? (or even Leeds/Manchester at a push).

replied on your other thread but guess you've already asked a frame builder so ignore that. :)

out of interest what level of repair were they talking about for that price?
a jig and a bit of setting would see it straight but with a dent in the tube, it would at least be ridable.

The frame builder didn't seem to think it could be set cold, so £100 plus is because he'd be heating the tubes. Do you think straightening a bend like that can be done cold?

Because it's not a place that is really known for doing bikes, but more for industrial stuff, I doubt anyone on here would be (foolish enough?) likely to use them. I was apprehensive about the quality of the paint job, but actually that's turned out totally fine, but the frame has presumably been treated the same as a metal gate or railings, i.e without much care. It might have been them, or it might have been the blasters they use. I do wonder if it happened at the blasters and they just coated it with the dent in it - sort of looks like it, from how the dent appears. Anyway, they are called Express Coatings (ironically considering there wasn't anything express about the process, either).

Anyone know a decent powder-coaters near Sheffield, seeing as I'm probably starting from scratch again? (or even Leeds/Manchester at a push).

The frame builder didn't seem to think it could be set cold, so £100 plus is because he'd be heating the tubes. Do you think straightening a bend like that can be done cold?
No way I could say without frame in hand. If he says no, I'd agree with him without evidence to the contrary.

Back