Titanium frame repair in UK

stevet1

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I know there have been a couple of threads about this (because I've searched ;) ) but there does not seem to have been any feedback. So has anyone had a titanium frame repaired in the UK, and what was the result? As good as new?

So far I've only tried vernon Barker cycles for a quote. 'Omega cycles' who were also suggested in previous threads do not appear to exist anymore as a frame shop. Is there anyone else I can try?

Steve.

p.s. cheap Ti frames with lifetime warranties are great as long as the company stays in business long enough to support the warranty - D'oh!

I'd be interested in this as I could get my Kili Ultra Ti put back to its original configuration. :)

cchris2lou":9yrsf2nm said:
Mark from Omega has created another brand , cant remember the name though . :oops:

Enigma.

The name of the brand that is, not the fact that it's a mystery and you can't quite put your finger on what it's called. ;)

vernon did a good job on my Gary Fisher albeit it was a rough and ready repair as someone had already made a mess of it before me, not to expensive and he was a top bloke.

cchris2lou":3b465q0z said:
has Omega gone bust then ?

I believe so. The CTC magazine did an article about it when it all happened. I think it went under about 2 years ago now. Enigma was born from its ashes. That's my understanding.

clockworkgazz":3cbgxuzw said:
vernon did a good job on my Gary Fisher albeit it was a rough and ready repair as someone had already made a mess of it before me, not to expensive and he was a top bloke.

I agree. Had his steel road frames for over 20 years. Never seen a bad un and he has a very dry sense of humour. bear in mind that he only works monday & friday tho.

Okay now that I have got my frame back from Vernon Barker I thought I'd update this thread with some feedback.
Here is a pic of the cracked weld I wanted to have repaired (along the left hand edge of the weld on the right)-
yw6yaa.jpg

Vernon was very helpful over the phone, and the frame was returned to me within 2 weeks. It was also relatively cheap (£40 for the repair + postage)
However, it looks very 'agricultural', not so much an issue on this frame as it gets ridden hard, I just hope its strong -
yw6ybu.jpg

There was also an issue with a scrach / gouge on the headtube which looks like it was done with a box cutter removing the pipe lagging I fixed in place. Again not the end of the world but rather disappointing.

yw6ya1.jpg

Steve T.

Latest posts

Back