recommend me a car

stevet1

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I know little about buying cars.
I do however like my car to go when I press the accelerator, stop when I press the brake, fit 3 bikes in the back with the seats down, do >40mpg and preferably have lower road tax than I pay now (£175!). Budget <£5000 preferably. My current car is a Renault Megane which cost me £1000 and although derided by the garage is on 183000 miles now, the last 100,000 done by myself (so 100 miles per £1 original outlay - seems pretty good!) Also needs to fit on my drive so no huge estates.
I'm considering a Kia Cee'd sw but although tis classes as a small estate suspect it may be a bit too long (maybe not - I'm undecided. Fook I hate cars). Petrol engine pereferred too due to suspicion that diesels cost more to maintain and are harder to fix.
Any suggestions knowlegeable chaps and chapesses?

I know you said petrol but a 1.6tdci Ford Focus should fit the bill. My mum has a 58 reg and only does short journeys but has had no problems at all.

Genuine 55/60 mpg, £30 to tax, plenty about, cheap to buy. What's not to like. :cool:

yep sounds nice, very reasonable, nice car etc etc. Except - my old man has one. I can't have the same car as my old man, its just not right. I mean I'm only .... 38 fook :facepalm: . How did I get to 38? I still mess around on bikes in the woods :shock:

Was about to say Kia, either C'eed, or Caren's.
I have a Shitroen Berlingo, fugly but fits plenty of bikes in the back. Same goes for the Fiat Doblo.

Do you want bikes IN the car, or will ON the car (ie a rack) do?

I'd also recommend an 850. Probably hold out for a Sport though.

Anyhow. Depending on what sort of mileage you do along with the sort of journeys will help decide on petrol vs diesel. Under 10K a year with short trips I'd definitely go with petrol. The cost of a turbo / DPF / injector on a diesel vehicle can easily wipe out any fuel savings.

Sure there is plenty out there for £5K. Although you say no focus this is where I'd start to look, ford are actually quite good, how about this as a start. Otherwise how about something like a volvo v50, reckon these look quite good as a mid size estate.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nob":klz1fjfv said:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311039641501/make/BMW/model/8%20SERIES/postcode/gl55nu/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/quicksearch/true/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/735827/usedcars?logcode=flp

Nice one - will be uber practical for the bike thing.

My tip - hold out for the 12 bangers, apparently, they were super-reliable...

Back