Recommend me a grown-up car

At that price level, under a grand, the world is your oyster.

I live in that world as I do around 500 to 1300 miles a week. Current squeeze is a 1998 Mercedes 300TD. Bought at 60k in June, its now on 82k with only tyres and an oil top up.

It will need a ball joint doing fairly soon, £16 from Eurocarparts plus I'll get it serviced for the upcoming 'winter'.

Re:

Can't see if it has been mentioned, but with a budget of £7k I would take a look at a Honda FR-V.
6 proper seats, (3 in the front), decent sized boot, stacks of features like climate control, and cup holders :D , bomb proof reliability and they go on forever!

Bruce

Re: Re:

twosheds":18nn3wlv said:
Can't see if it has been mentioned, but with a budget of £7k I would take a look at a Honda FR-V.
6 proper seats, (3 in the front), decent sized boot, stacks of features like climate control, and cup holders :D , bomb proof reliability and they go on forever!

Bruce

Good call! 'pect LGF will now come along to shoot that one down in flames too..... :LOL:

Friends have had them, as you say, seem to go on forever with no issues with the ones I've known.

I've missed whole swathes of cars because they rarely go wrong or give anybody trouble. The ones I've mentioned are the ones that have given me the most headaches.

legrandefromage":3p964cxn said:
At that price level, under a grand, the world is your oyster.

I live in that world as I do around 500 to 1300 miles a week. Current squeeze is a 1998 Mercedes 300TD. Bought at 60k in June, its now on 82k with only tyres and an oil top up.

It will need a ball joint doing fairly soon, £16 from Eurocarparts plus I'll get it serviced for the upcoming 'winter'.

:xmas-wink:

Cheers buddy :xmas-cool:

Mike

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":92urj7n8 said:
twosheds":92urj7n8 said:

Bruce

Good call! 'pect LGF will now come along to shoot that one down in flames too..... :LOL:

Friends have had them, as you say, seem to go on forever with no issues with the ones I've known.

Heavy on front tyres. :p

There, does that make you happy? Confirm that I really really know too much about absolutely nothing at all?

thhhpppppppppptttt!

Re:

Lol, yeah happy now!! :LOL:

I'm not having a go, this is actually really interesting for me as a) I'm a complete petrol head, and b) I may be needing to go through this whole process myself come next MOT time, so at least I'm learning something!

I have a tdi Passat saloon (135k) and a diesel X trail sve (122k) so I'm saying nothing. Go on LGF say your worst.

My 'badly' built Saab 93 aero has been far more reliable than my ex 'well' build Skoda fabia. You could do far worse than a late model 93 or 95 petrol estate.
Low mileage forget derv, they are not economical until you cover big miles and you are only 1 repair billaway from wiping out any savings. Someone I knew once worked out that if given the choice of 520i or 520d he would have to do 120,000 miles with no repair bills to begin saving money. That's quite a sobering thought really.

Carl

Back