Recommend me a grown-up car

Thank you all very much for the advice. Based on this and a glowing recommendation from my best mate in Oz I put a deposit down on a 2006 X-Trail this afternoon. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. It's done less than 50k and looks pristine. HPI checks out. Anything in particular apart from the obvious I need to check before shaking on it tomorrow? Feeling more excited than I should do about a nine year old diesel car. T..

russ77":2zzkdnw6 said:
Thank you all very much for the advice. Based on this and a glowing recommendation from my best mate in Oz I put a deposit down on a 2006 X-Trail this afternoon. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. It's done less than 50k and looks pristine. HPI checks out. Anything in particular apart from the obvious I need to check before shaking on it tomorrow? Feeling more excited than I should do about a nine year old diesel car. T..

Sure LGF will be along at some point to discuss, but if the tree shaped air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror has less than 60% scent left, just walk away....walk away my friend.... :LOL:

Good luck, sure it will all be fine and dandy, good cars I hear. But what do I know, I'm just 'a woman' ;)

Is it pink....??

Re:

Timing chains can stretch on the 2.5dci engine and check out that the cruise control works (from cold too) as switches can go down, injector rattle is common too but not terminal. Egr system benefits from blanking off too. All clutches bite high new or old and it can be off putting and brakes on the navara certainly need a good shove to work best. I have a 2008 navara that share a lot of mechanicals and is similar in ailments.

Carl

Its an X-Trail, not Navara. Always had the *non* (!!!) Renault 2.2 dci non-turbo and tdi versions - Navara is live axle rear and old fashioned ladder chassis whereas xtrail is Primera bits and gubbins.

After the Renault sort-of merger, the xtrail shares a lot of stuff with the Megane.

Just keep an eye on the turbo, that seemingly their only real trouble - probably from those that use them for towing.

Re:

Sorry was thinking pathfinder. Saw a 2.5 option on the xtrail and assumed it was a larger derv, seems it's petrol. I would still check the cruise works as the switchgear is likely the same.
Also lgf the navara has a rigid axle not live. A live axle by definition has no diff, much like my race mower. The navara has a diff.

Carl

Guns n Roses have one.

Good choice, quite like mine. Not playing kiss of death though.

Re: Re:

drcarlos":1khd2kva said:
Sorry was thinking pathfinder. Saw a 2.5 option on the xtrail and assumed it was a larger derv, seems it's petrol. I would still check the cruise works as the switchgear is likely the same.
Also lgf the navara has a rigid axle not live. A live axle by definition has no diff, much like my race mower. The navara has a diff.

Carl

you know what I mean, its back axle isnt independently sprung whereas the xtrail is monocoque with independent suspension and all that jazz. Live axle just refers to it being an axle regardless of where it has a dif or not.

2.2dci suffers in Renault cars but not Nissan despite being a Nissan engine. Nissan getting back at Renault for building such shite vehicles?

Mercedes now use the Renault 1.5dci, I nearly criedbut then I dont much care for later Mercs neither...

Phhtttttttttttttttt to the lot of them.

And another thing!

Live axle does indeed mean 'one that supports part of the weight of a vehicle and drives the wheels connected to it.'

Non drive is dead axle.

The internet said so!

axlroseaxlrose5.jpeg

And renault had their own 2.2 diesel which really fucks things up when trying to suss out what is in what.

fackin hate renault...

Brother in law has a grand espace v6. You can hear the rasp as the fuel is sucked through on the motorway. It's gigrontous.

Back