another what car thread - epiphany reached. Bicycles instead

Re: another what car thread - car for 40,000 a year+

Some off the wall thoughts:
Saab 9-5 with the 3.0 diesel - very understressed motorway cruiser, not sure about real-world mpg though. The 2.2 diesel was liable to pop, my Saab main dealer always kept a rebuild kit on the shelf. Alternatively the 1.9TD Fiat-based 9-5 or 9-3.

Post 04 W203 diesel looks like a possible alternative - make sure you get the facelifted one, I can get 48mpg if gentle on my estate. So far I've run mine to 100k without bother, only needed an oil drip from the auto box fixed, plus a new front spring from a big pothole (it's the Avantgarde SE with AMG suspension).

Not sure whAt you mean by "fords are cheap for a reason"

Good cars in my experience, brAnd snobbery means they are great value in my opinion.

I've just bought a Ford Ka super basic and hopefully super cheap. I hope you get something reliable LGF

Alison

xxnick1975":10yudkqn said:
Not sure whAt you mean by "fords are cheap for a reason"

Good cars in my experience, brAnd snobbery means they are great value in my opinion.

Nothing to do with snobbery, their TCDI engines are poo because the injectors are weak.

Re:

Avoid Ford diesels,I had a TDCI and like LGF says,it blew 2 injectors.If one wants a roomy,armageddon proof, comfortable and economical mile muncher then look no further than an 05 2.2 diesel Honda Accord estate.Mercs are muck post w123....

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":1btc9rjt said:
Ford are the number one choice for many fleet buyers. Say no more.

meaningless - once these cars have done 50 60k or less, they are sold. As soon as they are out of warranty many cars just seem to stop working.

Forester, Outback or Legacy can all be had with a boxer diesel nowadays! These cars may not make you feel like a Mercedes does (i had three of those) but they are cars simply worth their money. The last Mercedes i can think of which falls in this category was a W124 T Modell with a 3 liter diesel engine from 1995. It never failed and was a really good car. Therefore i would say it was worth its money but overall the costs were nearly one third more than my Outback H6. If you stay away from the Tribeca you can't make any mistake in buying any Subaru. Not to mention they all come with the 4 wheel drive. 4-matic in a Merc is really not the cheapest of all options.
Mazda should also be considered i think. Their 2.0 liter engines are made to last. They don't cost much and back in the 90ties they were more fuel efficient than Subaru and Mercedes. I have no clue about how they are nowadays but it might be worth to check them out. I have nothing but good memories for them.
Right now i got a Forester with 210000km which is doing fine and my next car i think will be the Outback again because it has more space.

I've ran three Ford TDCi engines: one to 146k, the other to 138k. Now on a Peugeot HDi (same engine I believe through Ford-PSA joint venture) on around 50k. I wouldn't hesitate to run another Ford - superb cars IMO.

Ford 1.4/ 1.6 TCDI are Peugeot based and have their own well documented problems

2.0 TCDI is Fords own and the injectors are weak. Later shape also went back to cambelt with early failures - cam chain kit a must for the taxi fleet.

2.2 is the Peugeot based diesel found in Jags, Pugs, Citroens, Fords, Range Rover and Land Rover albeit in highly modified forms. My neighbours Evoke scrapes about 29mpg regardless of driving style.

Archaic 2.0 TDDI is the fit and forget engine. One time, at band camp, I didnt bother changing the oil for 2 years. It was still going on the original turbo at 380,000, written off at 420,000.

Older 1.8 TD was just awful.

VAG PD130 was great but let down for me by water pump and early turbo failure.

The 8v Fiat diesel can be found in many Vauxhalls but for whatever reason, they managed to f that up. The 16v version too - say 'swirl flaps' to any older SAAB/ Vauxhall owner and they'll shudder

The big concern with my budget is that the available mercs can hide structural rust.

The Stilo is soldering on. Will hit the 100k point next week.

I've even been looking at Doblos again... Will I ever learn??

Back