another what car thread - epiphany reached. Bicycles instead

Re: another what car thread - car for 40,000 a year+

legrandefromage":2mjnzkpu said:
Ford 1.4/ 1.6 TCDI are Peugeot based and have their own well documented problems

2.0 TCDI is Fords own and the injectors are weak. Later shape also went back to cambelt with early failures - cam chain kit a must for the taxi fleet.

2.2 is the Peugeot based diesel found in Jags, Pugs, Citroens, Fords, Range Rover and Land Rover albeit in highly modified forms. My neighbours Evoke scrapes about 29mpg regardless of driving style.

Archaic 2.0 TDDI is the fit and forget engine. One time, at band camp, I didnt bother changing the oil for 2 years. It was still going on the original turbo at 380,000, written off at 420,000.

Older 1.8 TD was just awful.

VAG PD130 was great but let down for me by water pump and early turbo failure.

The 8v Fiat diesel can be found in many Vauxhalls but for whatever reason, they managed to f that up. The 16v version too - say 'swirl flaps' to any older SAAB/ Vauxhall owner and they'll shudder

The big concern with my budget is that the available mercs can hide structural rust.

The Stilo is soldering on. Will hit the 100k point next week.

I've even been looking at Doblos again... Will I ever learn??

Like so many things the swirl flaps issue is down to egr, blank it off and there's no carbon circulated in the intake to clog every thing up and jam the mechanism and make it break.
These problems with modern dervs and the punitive charges that we'll soon get are the main reasons I went back to petrol with my car.

Carl

Re:

Does it have to be diesel?

With concerns about inner city air quality, there may be a backlash against diesel cars sometime in the near future. I can't find it now, but there was something on the radio which suggest that the government may increase the cost of diesel to make cleaner alternatives, including good ol' petrol, more appealing. Diesel cars may also be banned from some areas. If this happens, the used value of diesel cars may well plummet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30349398

Good news for me, I hate riding behind the stinky things. :p

Don't get me started on egr! Blanked mine off within a week of purchase!

The egr left the missus stranded in the A14. Bloody AA claimed dpf failure. It was just a dead egr. Seen loads of vauxhall with the dreaded black crap.

Re: Re:

xerxes":fer134qa said:
Does it have to be diesel?

With concerns about inner city air quality, there may be a backlash against diesel cars sometime in the near future. I can't find it now, but there was something on the radio which suggest that the government may increase the cost of diesel to make cleaner alternatives, including good ol' petrol, more appealing. Diesel cars may also be banned from some areas. If this happens, the used value of diesel cars may well plummet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30349398

Good news for me, I hate riding behind the stinky things. :p

Quite right there is lots if you google for nitrogen dioxide and motorway speed restrictions, also they are talking about banning them from Paris and I don't think Brussels and Berlin will be too far behind if they do.

Carl

Yes, diesel cars from around 2012/13 actually put out more NO2 when the engines are cold or at idle due to the then emission controls on the engines to get CO2 down to a mininum

during the recent london bus driver strike, the NO2 pollution dropped somewhat...

And Oxford St has 'used' its annual pollution amount already

I wouldnt have a job if people stopped buying cars ... kind of stuck with that one for now.

Re:

Just about every major manufacturer has its foibles.

It is rather disingenuous to assert otherwise unless one really has had vast experience with all of them.

We all have our personal anecdotal opinions, but at the end of the day buy something economic as new as your price will allow and it will most likely pay you back in spades.

But there is more to it. Covering these kind of mileages is a large amount of your time.

Buy a car that meets not only the economy criteria, but also the pleasure of ownership and driving you deserve.

Get your next Merc. Now which one?

LPG converted old one. Easy choice.

Unfortunately I work in the second hand car industry - I should now be called Arfer, smoke cigarillos and wear cheap suits.

This gives me access to hundreds of service centres and all the anecdotal stories I could possibly want about real world driving and cars.

Being of sound mind, I can then take the mean of all these stories and get a pretty good idea of what is what. So why the thread? I just wanted some imagination to see what I'd missed. Saab had never crossed my mind, dismissed as rehashed GM. Petrol, the recent u-turn on diesel and the NO2 issue has put me back onto LPG or at least a frugal petrol.

So, as my current car actually works, I am going to invest the money in bicycles again and other stuff that makes me smile rather than bloody cars.

Thank you for your time.

Phoooaaarrrr!

Fiat-Stilo_Multi_Wagon-2002-1600-01.jpg

Latest posts

Back