mazda 6, anyone owned or own one?

Thats the issue - boring works, exciting breaks a lot.

dit dit dit dit dit did dit dit!

News just in: The Mazda 6 can suffer from DPF issues and they do need servicing more often than other brands. 143bhp diesel uses lots of oil but thats normal. Cambelts/ pumps/ folowers need doing in one go.

Thats from a work colleague who does about the same mileage as I do and is currently nursing a sickly Smax

*He also recommends the MPS but he doesnt think theres an estate version.

Thanks for that lgf. Good to know what you've just mentioned. You're right about fun things breaking and boring not! Megane we have now uses a bit of oil. I don't really want to be doing same with another car really so will try and keep clear of that engine. Is there much to look for with other engines in that car?
Thanks again
Leigh

MPS is exciting AND reliable, but it's saloon only. You can't even drop the rear seats because of the chassis braces, and the boot floor is higher than normal saloons because it's got the differential from an RX8 under it.

I'd look at Vauxhall Insignias. I hate vauxhalls, but I am forced to admit it's actually a good car, comfortable and in diesel form (I hate diesel too, so this hurts) much better than the 1.8 petrol. The residuals on them are catastrophic, especially on the expensive ones, so you can get a lot of recent car for your money. A top spec 4x4 2.8 petrol 'Elite' Luxo-barge version can be had for pocket money. There's one on auto trader on a 58 plate with less than 45000 miles on it and FSH. It's a huge amount of car for the cash, and it's fully loaded with leather, nav, electric seats, dab, xenons and lord knows what else. Yours for less than £7k, which makes it a bloody bargain.

The 6 is ok but will rust, metal is poorly treated and you'll get bullied on the road driving it.

All modern(ish) diesels are shite, get a petrol.

I'm swaying more towards petrol anyway tbh because flywheel on diesels these days is a big chunk of money to replace one and we are unlikely to have that amount of cash to pay in one go so petrol is looking like the way to go. I like diesels tbh last few cars have been diesel. The megane we have now is actually a good car. It has enough power to overtake when needed, can sneak through gaps in traffic lights if needed, motorway it is good also. Will sit at 80 all day at around 2500rpm. Just set the cruise control and its great. Rust isn't a problem you because wings are plastic, back arches show no signs or rotting so far. I know Renault get slated for electrical problems but as previously mentioned there's been no problems so far other than what I think is a loose connection on passenger window. It's got loads of room in the boot because it's the estate. I'm hoping we don't lose too much boot space with next car but I'm hoping whatever we buy has a towbar and I can just get a small trailer if needed then. Hoping to get a caravan at some point as well so defo want something with a towbar really.
Thanks again
Leigh

Re:

Have you considered a Saab 9-3? I was sceptical having only ever had reliable Japanese cars with the Ford I owned being fairly rubbish and the VAG being awful, this is the first non-japanese car that I have owned that has been reliable.
They are not hard or expensive to maintain as a lot of parts are shared with the Vectra, the other stuff is not hard to get either as Saab parts never went bust, only the manufacturing arm went tits up.
Stick with the Petrols though and preferably the 2.0 as it's Saab's own engine and pretty bullet proof. A 9-3 Aero is a nice comfortable cruiser with a good turn of speed and decent (if not totally exciting) handling, plus as people are put off by the 'bust' tag massive VFM.
Also a lot of modern petrols have a DMF too.

Carl.

Re:

Only the iron block 2.0 in the 9-5 was a Saab engine, and that was derived from the canted four originally found under the bonnet of the Triumph dolomite. The 9-3 got the GM power plant.

That said, they're very good cars, and since they went bust, very cheap cars.

Re: Re:

GSB":m7jh9yc3 said:
Only the iron block 2.0 in the 9-5 was a Saab engine, and that was derived from the canted four originally found under the bonnet of the Triumph dolomite. The 9-3 got the GM power plant.

That said, they're very good cars, and since they went bust, very cheap cars.

Saab Developed the B207R, which was originally the LK9 engine, so yes under GM, but Saab automotive made it into a decent engine.

In Saab vehicles, this engines features Saab's Trionic 8 engine management system as well as a revised valve train. The timing chain and timing gears are also new, along with Saab's Direct Ignition system. The reinforcements, turbocharging, intercooling, internals, dual overhead camshaft, and such were developed by GM Powertrain Sweden (Saab Automobile Powertrain).

So basically the Head and block are LK9, probably as much as the old slant 4 was Triumph.

Carl.

Yeah have looked at Saabs myself quite a bit but the other half doesn't like the looks of newer ones because of the chrome round headlights, she says it looks like eyeliner and not so good.
After looking round a bit more though there's a few other vehicles in the running now. Mostly 4x4' s or cross overs as some may say. Nissan x trail, hyundai Santa fe, Kia sportage, it's just a case of finding the right vehicle now which means finding the best there is of each vehicle for best price. I want whatever we get to have everything it can have really, Sat nav, leather interior, heated seats etc. As this is going to be a car we keep I don't want to be sat looking at it or in it wishing we had bought something else.
It's just a case of waiting for the right thing to come up and go buy it.
Thanks everyone for your input. Oh and I showed her a 2000 model range rover with lpg fitted and she liked that. So she is coming round to my way of thinking. Just have to find a nice disco now and show her that see if I can't win her round

Back