My new Cinder Cone soon to be Explosif (yay!!)

Funk to Funky

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Just joined and just bought my first project - a '93 Kona Cinder Cone (I really want an Explosif from the same year 'cos that's what I used to race on until some *"$%*>@ nicked it!), but this is close so I bought it.

Not in bad condition at all compared to the projects a lot of you have but I wanted to kit it out in a good spec of the time and original type Race Light kit too rather than get into resprays etc (yet!).

So it's mainly decked in XT, has 217 rims, the original Sugino cranks and Ritchey (Dia Compe) brakes. Someone has got rid of all the Race Light though and put on a hotch potch of other bits (for sale when I replace them later I'm sure!).

Some of the decals could do with replacing (any ideas where I can get them from?).

The forks are good too but are from the wrong year (subtle colour difference and decals are wrong).

Gave it a quick wash and it looks good in the photo's (if I can get them to come out).

Any input/advice much appreciated by the way.

Attachments

• '93 Cinder Cone (640x480).jpg
    '93 Cinder Cone (640x480).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,455
  • 028 (600x800) (435x580).jpg
    028 (600x800) (435x580).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,455
  • 029 (800x600).jpg
    029 (800x600).jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,454
  • 031 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
    031 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,455
Hi Stu,

Good to see you've managed to get a another Kona.

Kiss good bye to all your money now you have signed up :D

Looks in great condition, you can't really notice the colour difference on the folks, I would just leave them and enjoy the ride. If a pair comes up then so be it.

What are those bars you have fitted ? :cool:

Our new rider! Welcome :cool:

Look forward to seeing the steed in the flesh

Hi James,

Cheers mate.

The money's started going already!!

You're right on the forks - you can't really tell until you get close - so it will be a case of take 'em if they come on new one's.

The bars are CODA flats which are Cannondale I think aren't they? I might well be wrong on that though.

Stu

Hi daj

Cheers.

The bike needs a couple of tweeks before it's ready to ride unfortunately - nothing much, but working brakes (and gears set up properly) would be nice! :LOL:

Looking forward to a ride. :)

Funk to Funky":2xnnnqdb said:
The bars are CODA flats which are Cannondale I think aren't they? I might well be wrong on that though.

Cannondale you say ? mmmm have just the bike in need of some black bars ha ha ha
Never heard of them myself

Get the brakes sorted and we will get out

Pretty much done now. Mainly things tweeked and a few small changes.
So far I've changed the saddle to an original Kona from the year, likewise with the tyres and the bars and grips are changed too. Proper XT thumbshifters and some nice X-Lite bar-ends added (my favourites at the time).
I've got everything set-up and working properly now as well and swapped out a few scrappy things like rusted bolts etc and I'm pretty pleased with the result I have to say :) and the ride is just how a good steel frame should be :D
The main thing left is those elusive forks from that year so if anyone's got any.................................................. :)

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG