Explosif 92

After all the hunting for components, cleaning components and polishing components, the Explosif is now built.
It's an exciting time!

View attachment 786173

Due to the condition of the frame and components, it almost feels like getting a new bike. I am so glad how this build has turned out.

I will now do some shake-down rides to tweak things like stem height, saddle position, etc.

I love how this bike rides. The best word to describe it is 'sprightly'. It picks up speed easily and feels like it really wants to move.

View attachment 786172
I noticed this with my frame, same size. It's true. It just wants to go forwards with very little input. Undoubtedly one of the best frames I've tried. Hope you enjoy, it looks ace.

Component update.

The 92 model Kona's came with the most cumbersome seat post clamp and quick release known to man. A big ugly hunk of metal:

1698580825022.png

I decided to swap it out and had a look for a later model Kona clamp. Big thanks to @Spanky22b who had a spare clamp in the Kona sanctuary. Here it is - much neater and also as a bonus is 50g lighter:

1698580903593.png

I also changed the tyres. The Smoke/Dart combo is a classic, but the tread is overkill for the terrain I ride, so I started looking for a good alternative. Had to be tan wall as I am not a fan of blackwalls.

I decided to go with SimWorks by Panaracer 1.95 inch The Homage tyres - as they are exactly what I was looking for:

1698581218608.png

1698581110990.png

They ride really nice and are 100g lighter than Smoke/Dart's, which is a bonus. The bike has a less aggressive look as they are less chunky and 1.95 instead of 2.1, but I can live with that.

Here is the latest incarnation. I think the Kona seat-post clamp is my favourite part of the bike now (!) - it is so much neater than the original clamp.

1698581330191.png

It's looking really clean. For me I tend to lean towards blackwalls on this era of Kona, knowing they were OEM, but I'll admit that looks ace. Nice info on the seatclamp bulk, I'm about to do something with my 92 Kilauea, I might be needing one of these 93onwards clamps.

Reactions: JCS
Thanks @minor_LEGEND . I tried a couple of aftermarket seatpost clamps but they didn’t fit right. The Kona clamps are best and are definitely worth searching for.

Back