1997 Kona Cinder Cone Disc conversion

A word of warning. Just be careful with the stopping power/forces. The stays on these frames were never built to withstand the forces and flex discs bring, and this specific design was prone to cracking back in the day with V's. I'm sure pootling on the seafront will be fine (not sure disc's are needed for pootling ;) ) but more robust off-road use could become problematic.

A word of warning. Just be careful with the stopping power/forces. The stays on these frames were never built to withstand the forces and flex discs bring, and this specific design was prone to cracking back in the day with V's. I'm sure pootling on the seafront will be fine (not sure disc's are needed for pootling ;) ) but more robust off-road use could crack?
I wasn’t aware these Kona’s were prone to cracking with V brakes on. Where did they usually crack? I’ll bear it in mind (never use rear brake). Pootling along the seafront demands disc brakes, especially Hope ones. What else would you stare at while protecting your ice cream from seagulls?

I was impressed by the way you designed your mount because you are effectively using the caliper as the brace between the seat and chain stay. Most frame builders when doing a disk conversion will place a small brace there but youve used the caliper iteslf. Its a cool design as it helps spread the load so its not all on the seatstay and is lighter than the traditional method đź‘Ť

It also looks really clean having the caliper tucked away there :cool:

I wasn’t aware these Kona’s were prone to cracking with V brakes on. Where did they usually crack? I’ll bear it in mind (never use rear brake). Pootling along the seafront demands disc brakes, especially Hope ones. What else would you stare at while protecting your ice cream from seagulls?
They go where the flat drop out meets the seat stay. It's why the following year all steel frames came with the cast dew drop design.

I was impressed by the way you designed your mount because you are effectively using the caliper as the brace between the seat and chain stay. Most frame builders when doing a disk conversion will place a small brace there but youve used the caliper iteslf. Its a cool design as it helps spread the load so its not all on the seatstay and is lighter than the traditional method đź‘Ť

They go where the flat drop out meets the seat stay. It's why the following year all steel frames came with the cast dew drop design.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if moving the centre of force closer to the axis has mitigated the leverage forces somewhat. The Hahanna uses the same dropouts and I really hammered the brakes on that. I work in Catterick so the Yorkshire dales are my after work playground, I’ve done the black routes at Hamsterley with the lads from work (terrifying but addictive) and I’m next to the Black Hambleton hills and north Yorkshire moors at home and the brakes get some serious use there and I’m morbidly obese and carry lots of water so run heavy and the Hahanna had no issues. I know that was a 500g heavier frame so possibly a bit more burly. I’ll keep a close eye on it.

Last edited:

Cheers Mikey, much appreciated. I’ll let you know if the stays snap off, unless it kills me then my silence on here will act as a lesson to all of you considering such a thing 👍

IMG_4665.jpeg IMG_4663.jpeg IMG_4662.jpeg IMG_4669.jpeg I think I accidentally own the best bike in the world (tongue in cheek but you get the idea). I don’t know if it’s because the forks were just fully serviced by Pace and they made an adjustment I’d never found before or the tyre pressures were spot on or because I’ve never ridden a Cinder Cone this hard off road before but wow I can safely say this is the nicest cross country bike I’ve ever ridden. Prior to this I’d have said it was a tie between an m2 stumpjumper or a 2004 Explosif.
I wish I’d bought one 25 years ago, I’m gobsmacked how playful and precise it feels. Some sections today I rode at 9 tenths of my ability and it felt natural and easy.
It would have been 10 tenths but I’ve got this mental picture of al-onestare whom I’ve never met by the way but in my mental picture he’s the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket and he’s pointing at my broken seat and chain stays with his swagger stick shouting
“ private Lostcause is ineffective because private Lostcause didn’t listen”
Shouting some more,
“Private Lostcause when you regain consciousness, get off my obstacle!!!!”

mental picture of al-onestare whom I’ve never met by the way but in my mental picture he’s the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket and he’s pointing at my broken seat and chain stays with his swagger stick shouting
“ private Lostcause is ineffective because private Lostcause didn’t listen”
Shouting some more,
“Private Lostcause when you regain consciousness, get off my obstacle!!!!”
I've never had the privilege of meeting him either, but from now on, that's the picture in my head

Back