Kona Cinder Cone 1993

Looking inside the Tioga Surefoot V. No bearings. Bit of a surprise. They seem to spin on machined bushes. It is either a very simple design with few moving parts or I'm missing something. Quite possible - is that really all there is? Degreased, regreased and spinning better. Tioga Surefoot V (2).jpg Tioga Surefoor V 2 (2).jpg

Bit more progress over a pre-dinner beer.
Cassette installed. It had some wear but did a wee touch up with a file. We'll see how it takes to a nearly new chain.
Found XT shifters. Thought I had some. A bit sticky but not keen to tear these down. I just know I'd be chasing springs and tiny bearings around the floor for the rest of the night. They feel much better for a bit of lubrication. Replaced the rusty bolts with stainless.
Dia Comp levers continue the black theme. As well as the general air of slightly scruffy patina.

controls (2).jpg

Cables installed. Cantis still need setting up and new pads. I'm not wild about the Shimano canti hangers but still trying to use what I have rather than buy stuff I can't really afford right now.
Front mech is now LX Mountain. The intended black band LX was top pull. Doh...Will probably seek out an XT to match the rear. Eventually. Let's get it all working first.
New KMC chain. The part-used one was too short and I didn't have any 7.3 mm links from when I cut it. Hope the rings and cassette will cope. Shifting cleanly on on the bake stand, but that means nothing as we all know.....

20.12.23.JPG

First shake-down ride out this. Sub-zero mostly but sunny when I set off. Very frosty where the sun doesn't get. The Cinder Cone rides great, is comfortable and the steering seems good.
Niggles:
1. Front brake squeal despite careful toe-in. I hate that. May try a booster in case it is fork flex but damp rims from icy puddles and sub-zero temperatures probably not helping.
2. Rear shifting is smooth but jumps 2 cogs to and from the biggest sprocket. Tweaks to limit screw and cable tension just move the problem elsewhere. I forgot to check hanger alignment. That's next.

Feels very light when lifting over fences and gates. Bathroom scales say sub 24lb.....seems optimistic.

P1087724.jpg P1087725.jpg P1087726.jpg P1087729.jpg

Just so you know, your P2s (96/97 model) are longer that those that came with it, throwing the geometry out a touch. The geometry changed in 94/95. It shouldn't be too notable but it add some extra stress to the headtube. For pootling you're fine. For anything else it's a touch risky.

Am aware of fork issue. But aim was to build it up with what I had stashed. I expect it will gradually morph back to a proper spec when a nice 390mm TB fork and funds become available. I have a v good non-threaded triple butted 410mm P2 that I might sell or swap for the right fork. Until then it won't be doing anything too strenuous and with the shorter stem I must say it is a nice relaxed ride for wee jaunts along the coast and beer runs to local shop via farm tracks.

Pretty sure the 93 Cinder Cone has the same frame as a 92 Kilauea so you do have one if the earler version.

Ah well, the shifting issue was easily sorted with a switch to friction mode. Shifts lovely. M730 shifters are six speed and cassette is 7. Doh.

Fitted a Tektro brake booster and it seems to have eased the squeal. Can't say it's a thing of beauty but I don't see it when riding.

Must say I do like the headtube logo they used in '93.

P1137747 (2).jpg

Back