Explosif 92

JCS

Kona Fan
Welcome to the build thread for my 1992 Kona Explosif.

I got my first Kona in 1991 and still have it. It lay dormant for several years until I refreshed it last year. Since then I have been having great fun riding it regularly.

The process of stripping down and refurbishing an old bike, searching for parts, cleaning and polishing parts, experimenting with fitting different parts and then smashing the bike around local trails has been really enjoyable and has re-ignited my enthusiasm for riding off road. You could say I caught the bug again ! – and when the chance came to take on another project, it didn’t take me long to dive in.

My favourite era of mountain bikes is anything up to around 1993, and 1990 – 1992 in particular.

I was excited to acquire this Explosif – it’s a Kona I coveted BITD but my budget didn’t stretch to it. I used to pore over the Kona catalogues and remember how desirable the Explosif, Hot and Hei Hei were. It’s fun to finally own a hero bike.

Other plus points with this bike is that it came with the right Kona components and is in very good condition. The Velocity stem, Handlebar, Impact headset, Project 2 fork, O-Beam seatpost and cable routing guide are all intact.

1695571880028.png

1695571945453.png

1695571984456.png

1695572013805.png

I like the bulge in the Prestige tubing. Very different to the more basic steel of the Cinder Cone:

1695572245877.png

Last edited:
Here is the catalogue spec. I will be building the bike close to this, with a few period edits:

1695572628308.png

My frame is a 19 inch based on the cataloguie spec. It measures 20 inches from centre of BB to the top of the seat tube.

1695572744089.png

That looks to be very tidy, is it a 19”? Tuning in to see the progress.
Thanks. The wheelbase measures 42.5 inches; according to the catalogue that is the 19 inch frame. From centre of BB to top of seat tube is 20 inches though, so I don't know why Kona would classify this as a 19 inch frame.

I think on the early konas they measured from the top of the bb shell. Think it was 93/94 when they started measuring from the center. Of course I could just be making that up? But I’m sure I read it somewhere. Fingers crossed someone with more knowledge will clear things up.

Hang on, I liked the geometry post and didn’t even read it 😂. Must be old age creeping up on me 😬. Sorry.

Reactions: JCS
I've got a Cinder Gold 91 Cinder Cone on the back-burner. My fave looking catalogue Kona.
I like the plans for the Explosif.

Reactions: JCS
I've got a Cinder Gold 91 Cinder Cone on the back-burner. My fave looking catalogue Kona.
I like the plans for the Explosif.
Do you still have the XC LTD group set with it?
Mine got replaced/traded over the years but I did source a XC Pro crank last year to keep a bit of Suntour on there.

The component collecting begins:

1696058763138.png

The Retrobike forum has been a great source of parts for this build. @MatBH5 came up with a set of XT thumbshifters and @Walterscot supplied the XT front mech. I was really pleased to find a DX short arm rear mech (thanks @Antstark ) because this will go on my Cinder Cone, and the XT mech from the CC will go on the Explosif.

I was planning to fit Deore brake levers, but then @Tootyred had a sparkly set of Richey levers available which take preference. They are in better condition and also save a few grams:

1696059158846.png
For cantilevers I am going with XTR M900 as a really good set came up for a low price on the bay. I have these on my CC also.

The 92 Explosif came with a DX crank as standard. I wanted an XT crank instead:

1696059305151.png

I have an XC Pro crank on my Cinder Cone, so I weighed them for comparison:

1696059700405.png

I would love a full XC Pro groupset including bottom bracket and the titanium pedals. It's top quality gear.

All the components have been hit with polish:

1696059827118.png

One of my favourite parts of the build is seeing the citrus cleaner doing its work:

1696060101754.png

Back