1996 (?) GT Avalanche (?)

hawkhill97

Retro Guru
I've always loved the classic GT triple triangle frame, especially the older ones with a horizontal top tube.

My "proper" MTB is a souped up 2010 GT Avalanche but although it's smart enough in a more modern way, the classic 90s Zaskar builds I see on here always look much smarter and bring me much envy!

So when I saw this frame going cheap near me I thought it's got to be worth a punt for a bit of a winter project now it's too dark to ride after work.

It looks like a pretty massive frame so might turn out to be too big for me... but the top tube is not insanely long so as long as I can deal with the standover height it should be alright.

There wasn't much info in the ad, and I had my fingers crossed it would be a Zaskar, but as far as I can tell it's turned out to be a 1996 Avalanche - guessing this from the 7000 series tubing, the curved pantographed end cap on the top tube, and by comparison with google image pics.

It's missing the mech hanger but I've got one on the way in the post - was easier & cheaper to source than I feared, just hope it fits when it turns up!

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,245
  • Sticker.jpg
    Sticker.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,245
  • EndCap.jpg
    EndCap.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Dropout.jpg
    Dropout.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,245
Not totally sure how to build this one up yet.

I've got an early 90s Claude Butler Pagan which could do as a donor bike (the components on the Claude are quite nice, but the frame is fugly!). It's a mix of 300 and 400LX, with biopace chainrings; the finishing kit is mostly black which could look nice with the silver frame.

Before doing anything else, the frame needs a damn good polish. It currently looks OK from a distance but pretty grotty up close. I hate polishing frames, always get bored very quickly.... but it's usually worth it in the end.

There might be some cataloge scans on here you can compare too

would be nice to leave it polished then just put a quality wax on it

Well, I had a quick go at polishing up a bit of the frame the other day, but lacked the enthusiasm to do a good job of the whole thing...

So it's now got a first coat of paint on - I've gone for a ferrari red main triangle and black seat stays and chain stays. Will post a piccy or two when I've done the second coat.

Got a load of bits and bobs ready to build it up with too. Don't like painting much but looking forward to building it!

I struggled to get the old headset cups out a little, and rather than resort to brute force devised a new tool - the aluminium ring from a clamp-on grip with a little section cut out so that it fits into the head tube through the cup. This then acts as a perfect size to distribute the force from a mallet blow to a socket on an extension bar to pop out the cup.

Very pleased with how well this worked as I always stress about damaging the head tube if I use a regular socket small enough to fit through the headset cup :)

^ That looks like a useful tool, thanks for the link.

Planning on asking for a decent pair of cable cutters for xmas this year but this might be a good one for another time.

Re:

Here's how it's looking after a bit of paint. Still needs a little tidying up and I've learnt it's always best to leave the paint to harden a little before building, so will be a while before any further progress.

Attachments

• BitOfPaint.jpg
    BitOfPaint.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,022

Latest posts

Back