Have I got the wrong BB....or a bigger problem...?

Colnagoni

Retro Newbie
Hi
I's starting out on rebuilding and old mid 80's Colnago Super and have started collecting some of the bits I need. I thought I'd start with something easy today (the BB) but hit a problem already and wondered if anyone could help please?

I have a BBIT 12 Campag 111mm cartridge bottom bracket - and whilst the non-drive side seems to fit perfectly, the drive side binds after just a few turns? Had a quick look on Google and Sheldon Brown but can't see what could be an obvious cause ?

Many thanks

Silly question but are you putting it in the correct way....ISO / English have a left hand thread whilst Italian have a right hand thread.

Apologies if you already knew this.

The other thing is that the BB threads catch all sorts of crud dropping down the tubes plus paint from finishing........are the threads nice and clean?

Shaun

Re:

Hi Shaun

Thanks for the quick reply - I've got the direction sorted thanks. Its a good point to recheck for crud - I thought it looked clean but I'll give it a really thorough going over and see if that helps. It looks like someone's used teflon tape in the past as there's still old residue in there too

Cheers

Re:

What material are the cups on your new BB made of? If alloy, careful you don't chew the threads up as you screw it in, assuming your BB shell has bits of PTFE tape etc. gumming up its own threads. An old steel BB cup (e.g. from a loose cup 'n' cone unit) might come in handy for initially clearing the shell threading out.

David

Thanks David - pretty sure the BB is alloy - if I can't get the old tape out I'll try that tip as well - many thanks

Back